Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing Windows 7

Options
  • 30-01-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi! I want to install Windows 7 on my pc when I build it, I just realised though that I'm going to need a new copy, a friend said Ultimate was the best version for gaming (is that true? what's the difference between home/ultimate?) I just want the cheapest possible legit copy of 7 for my computer!
    So where do I buy it from?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You don't need ultimate for gaming.
    Home premium will be fine.

As to where to buy it....I'm not sure now that windows 8 is out.
    I haven't seen it on shelves in a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I wonder if you install 7 try to activate(fail),will you get the buy a new windows key prompt or will that simply direct you to windows 8.?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

mp22 wrote: »
    I wonder if you install 7 try to activate(fail),will you get the buy a new windows key prompt or will that simply direct you to windows 8.?
    It will probably, just like the stupid website does, link me straight to the abomination that is Win 8. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It will probably, just like the stupid website does, link me straight to the abomination that is Win 8. :rolleyes:
    Have you tried it? It's had relatively few complaints from gamers at large. I think Gabe Newell had a hissy at it about 6 months ago, but other than that I haven't heard a peep, and all my games (which are almost entirely Steam-based) run great on it.

I dont doubt that it runs/works well.
    But I have a windows phone and I love the metro theme on that, it looks horrible to me on a pc. I love the Win 7 look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I dont doubt that it runs/works well.
    But I have a windows phone and I love the metro theme on that, it looks horrible to me on a pc. I love the Win 7 look!

If it's just the looks you don't like, that can be helped. There are a couple of freebies (ClassicShell, StartMenu8) which will skip the Metro screen, boot right to the desktop, give you back the old start button and a proper start menu and disable the annoying hot corners and sidebar. There is also a transparent Aero theme for Windows 8 in the works.

No way!? I never heard of those, I'll have to look em up, looks like I'm buying Win8 then if I can change to the cleaner look, thanks for letting me know about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Yes way. ;)

Posted a few screenshots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I run vanilla Windows 8 and its just a case of clicking "Desktop" when the PC boots. Majority of the time I never have to access the start menu anyway, and if I do my average visit into the UI is about 12 seconds.

Advertisement