Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOC100 books - 1 year - suggestions welcome)

• 30-01-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Basically coping everyone else idea on this as it is a great way to keep a log of the books that I have been reading. I will literally read anything so some of my choices won't be to everyone tastes ha I started the year with very girly books :)

Aim - 1 year, 100 books, sure why the hell not

100) The House by A. O'Connor

Type - Girly Book

I loved this book, it was bought for me for my b day by my sister and I get the impression she went in and grabbed the cheapest/readily available book she could find but she lucked out because it was great. The story is broken into 3 parts, 1st part based in 1910, 2nd 1940 amd then the 3rd present day and it is all based on 'a house' surprising that as the title doesn't give that away at all :) I actually feel in love with every single character and as one part ended I grew so sad untill about the 3rd line in and I had fallen in love all over again. My mum was heading off on her holidays and I gave it to her to read as it is a very light holiday read and I received a text from a woman that NEVER texts about how enjoyable this book was. LOVED IT

Rating - 9/10 (I would give 10/10 but I feel on book 1 that might be a bit much ha :)

99) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Type - Thrillerish with a girly comedic edge

Not a whole lot I can say about this book as I don't want to give the game away. Embarrassingly enough I was on the Lauren Conrad website (please don't judge me I was getting a reciepe and don't let it turn you off getting this book) and in her book club section this was the current book club read so as its 2013 and I am allllll about the get up and go I went to the book shop straight after work and picked it up. It was actually in the Top Ten that week so took me all of about 2 seconds to find thank god. Its a book based on 2 sides to every story and I flitted in and out of liking him and then suddenly in the next chapter liking her and then him and then her and then him ..... and well you see where I am going with it. Throughly enjoyable read and I was surprised because I had enjoyed the last book so much I thought I would never find anythig I liked ever, ever again (I can be dramatic). It was a thriller I think not sure how to describe it and scarily enough I could related to one of the characters very well in parts and for those that actually do go out and get the book, don't worry only to a pount :) I'll say no more other than definately go and get it you won't be disappointed it had be intrigued from the start and turning every page after.

Verdict - 9/10 (still feel its too early for the big 10)

98) The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Type - Girly (I swear I don't have a theme I will change it up for somethig a little more gritty)

I got this as a present and unfortunately it was given to me as a hard back it was literally about 800 pages and was one of the heaviest things I have ever tried to read and for the 1st time wished I had a kindle (even though I am sligthly against them, it really isn't the same :)) I have read some of Kates stuff before and in traditional fashion it took me a good while to get into but once I got into it I did really like it. It was a girly mystery about a daughther trying to find out about her mothers background that she never discussed. I did love the characters and was dying to find out what had happened etc etc and was pleasantly surprised by it all but its MASSIVE and my arms are now killing me after it and whilst it was good it was just a pleasant read really and nothing I would be raving about.

Verdict - 7/10 but defo get it on the kindle :)

97) LA Candy by Lauren Conrad (mortified I am actually admitting that I bought and read this)

Type - Girly/Teen book

I'll gloss over this I read this in a day. I literally have no idea what possessed me to go and get this and embarrassingly enough it was actually quite enjoyable. Now in enjoyable as in I am trapped in a room and the only available book is this one and as the boredom sets in you think, sure why the hell not I may as well kill some time. Its not going to rock your world, frankly I think you should borrow it rather than buy it but it did hold my attention, I did like the characters and I did finish it because I was interested enough in finding out what happened.

Verdict - 6/10 by it for a teen and never mention in public you have read and liked it, you will be judged ha :)

96) The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Well best go and start this book....................................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Looking forward to your review of The Casual Vacancy - I have it but haven't started reading it yet. Could be ten years before I get to it - I have so much stuff to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭G-unit10

Really enjoying the log keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lindseycoc

96) The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Type: fiction/drama

I was really exicted to start reading this book, I loved Harry Potter and whilst I knew this was not going to be an novel about magic and muggles, I love how JK writes so I was looking forward to an adult read. This book is about life. Its based around a small town in England and the aftermath of the death of one of the Pagford locals Barry Fairbrother who resides on the parish concil and the race to fill his position on the board. Its basically about the middle class and the lower class distinctions and how they interact. I found it a bit difficult at the start to get my head around the many characters in the book, I lost track of who was with who, and who owned what child and I did have to flick back and forth for a bit to figure it out but that could say more about my attention span rather than her writing. I did enjoy the read but I wouldn't say I loved it. There wasn't a major plot and the summary at the back would make you believe its all about who will win the seat on the parsh concil when really it goes much deeper than that and more about all the characters flaws, be it their own flaws or how they handle each others. Every single character had a flaw be it drugs, self harming, abuse, weakness they all had something. I didn't really warm to the adult characters but I don't think that was the intention of it and I found that I was more interested to read about the teens in it and how they reacted to the adults behaviour. There is no main character in the novel, with everyone playing their part through out and I do have to say I did enjoy the ending but felt it may have been a bit rushed. You would think you would have sympathy for the widow in the novel (she has a minor role in this) but I actually found her quite annoying and a disturbance, I groaned when her name was mentioned ha ha.

All in all I am glad I read it but I would say after I read another few books I will have completely forgotten about it, not one you would remember. But I still love JK and the way she writes and would definately be buying her next novel.

Basically it was grand.

Verdict: 7/10

Next book - The fault in our stars by John Green

95) The fault in our stars by John Green

Type - Fiction/Humor

I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though I was a bit nervous about it. Its about a girl who has cancer and her falling in love. It was humorous throughout even though how I explained it above would lead you to believe that this would be a sad and emotional read. I haven't read anything by John Green but I get the impression all his books are like this. It was written extremely well and like previous books I fell in love with characters but the thing I fell most in love with was how he wrote it. I was that idiot that chuckles aloud to themselves while others look on going 'what's up with her?'. It was like an adult Judy Blume ha ha ok that might not exactly be the case but I was chuckling like it was. I don't really want to give the game away about the ending so I will keep stum just in case anybody reads this summary and has plans to read it. But I would definitely recommend it if you fancy a chuckle and you want to read something that isn't too taxing and with an easy story line, easily could read this in a day, I think I read it in 2 cause work got in the way :)

Verdict - 8\10

Next book you will have to forgive me on, basically a girl in work came in today and went, "I found this under the seat in my car, here you read anything give that a go". So I am thinking this is a sign, a sign I have to read this. However the pages are yellow, the font is 8 and the name is upsetting but I will do it and let you know how I get on. Don't laugh but it's Barbara Taylor Bradford - Dangerous to Know apologies book snobbery there from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I have read some Barbara Taylor Bradford in the past (over 20 years ago), they are not that bad. It won't expand your mind or make you think about the structure of society :D But she does tell a good story.

They have their place - kind of a thing I might read if I was sick with absolutely no concentration.

• Advertisement

The yellow pages turned me off :) so I swopped out that and now reading The Paris Wife by Paula Mc Lain.

Nearly finished so will be reviewing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

lindseycoc wrote: »
    The yellow pages turned me off :) so I swopped out that and now reading The Paris Wife by Paula Mc Lain.

Nearly finished so will be reviewing soon

I loved The Paris Wife so will be very interested to see what you think.

Advertisement