Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is Pilates in combating Back injuries

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have had a lot of trouble with severe muscular spasms in my back for the past year or so, the physio has suggested pilates as being good to take up .

Is there a particular type of course I should look for or is all pilates the same, I know very little about it

I am on a program of specific exercises twice a day which are designed to strengthen the core and hopefully lengthen the time between this happening again or eliminate the possibility of it happening at all.

If anyone has any pointer's that would be great

Cheers for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tonezone

yes recommended by all physios and chiropractor as it was orignially designed as a Rehab exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

cheers for that , I'm going book myself onto course this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Plutonium Kun

I've found it great for my back problems, so if your physio is ok with it, then go for it. The primary benefit I think is strengthening the muscles around your back, giving you greater stability. I'd suggest looking at gentle classes with stretching, as this provides a good short term relief too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

The basic excercises in pilates are quiet good and easy to learn.
    Just let your instructor know you have had back problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 timelord13

I can't speak highly enough of how Pilates has helped me with a lower back/hip injury that I've had for 20 years.
    I danced as a teenager, ballet etc and then got very into fitness/weights/yoga in my twenties. Pilates beats the lot of them, for me personally.
    I do reformer pilates here www.platinumpilates.ie - It's not cheap but I feel it's worth it. A couple of the instructors there are better teachers than others. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tmpilates

I have a number of Pilates classes if your interested, check out tmpilates.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Loonie

Another one here who pilates has helped. I have spine problems and pilates is the only thing that keeps in in check. I've been going for years and I don't have to go to physio at all when I go to pilates every week (15 euro vs 60 to my physio!) and if I don't go, then I'm in pain again after a few weeks.

Just a brief update, thanks to everyone who replied. Started Pilates, I could not say enough about it, it has really helped me no end

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Hi Starokan who did you go to? Price? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I suffer from back pain and would really love to take up pilates, but being a student the prices around Dublin are ridiculous when you're on a budget :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

another fan here of pilates, have had back problems for over 15 yr and seriously bad spasms in the last yr. been doing pilates for only a month and have not felt my back this strong in yrs

fobster wrote: »
    Hi Starokan who did you go to? Price? Thanks

My apologies, I never saw this question, I am actually on the hunt for a new pilates instructor, i was going to a class in Cork but the instructor has packed it in for a new life abroad. Definitely going to keep it up as the difference is really noticeable. Spasms etc are way more infrequent and when they do occur the rebound time is minimal.

The price I was paying was 14 euro per class, there were around 20 of us usually.

I have seen some advertised in gyms etc as 10 - 12 when you are a member so I may go down that route now.

Advertisement