Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Webservices for Running Macros in Excel2010

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi All, not sure if this is the correct section but an item at work has arose in relation to bringing info from a website using webservices.

I have experience with basic enough macro's but I am normally fairly on top of anything required in relation to using sytems but this looks a bit beyond me from some internet research I have been doing this morning + thinking is it worth recommending an expert for this as it may work out cheapre in the long run.

however I am a bit lost in relation to the above. I come from an Accounting backround and do not have experience in relation to coding etc with system like this.

Is there any place I can look into learning the basics up - videos etc.

Or am I wasting my time trying to learn this. The system needs to be up and running at the end of February at the latest with all bugs found and end reports formatted and agreed with management

any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you wanting to extract and collate information from the internet or from a specific subscription web service. e.g real-time share prices from Bloomberg?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

FSL wrote: »
    What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you wanting to extract and collate information from the internet or from a specific subscription web service. e.g real-time share prices from Bloomberg?

We are implementing a new project management system and it does not produce information for viewing information on a macro level as it is breaking to information in projects where I am looking to create a report which reads the information from the company contract we have with the customer + collate this info into dept and then overall group. In reality we want real time information that can be accessed by those with user access

I am wondering if webshare is required, I can export the date to excel and i think i can use macro's with VBA to break the information into groups and then graph the information(still learning)

Also I am trying to get the system to recognise contract names, if required this could be done with a Vlookup function but I was hoping there would be a way to do this with the macro

Forgive me if I am wrong in relation to webshare but can you plead confirm if the information is live from the system. I have done a report like that from our accounts package but this seems more complicated

Finally thanks for replying. I would be grateful if you can advise if this is a relatively quick task or is it a major one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Personally if you can have access to the information and want to use office I would put it into an Access database and use Access's report generator for producing the reports it's quite easy to format a report with sub totals at a variety of collation levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

FSL wrote: »
    Personally if you can have access to the information and want to use office I would put it into an Access database and use Access's report generator for producing the reports it's quite easy to format a report with sub totals at a variety of collation levels.

thanks FSL, going through a few videos online in relatino to setting it up. hopefully it can take information being pasted into it and it recognises it and re-organises everything.

Advertisement