Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling very strained and on the verge of a breakdown

Options
  • 30-01-2013 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I need some practical advice for dealing with my life, its a mess basically.

I feel very anxious and depressed about my life/people I deal with at work/ lack of relationships/ lack of direction/ lack of friendship/ anxiety attacks - at the moment and I would like to talk to a counsellor or therapist and receive proper understanding of how to deal with this stuff in my life but I don't have that much money.
    Can anyone here reccommend a good counsellor
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

strained wrote: »
    Hi I need some practical advice for dealing with my life, its a mess basically.

I feel very anxious and depressed about my life/people I deal with at work/ lack of relationships/ lack of direction/ lack of friendship/ anxiety attacks - at the moment and I would like to talk to a counsellor or therapist and receive proper understanding of how to deal with this stuff in my life but I don't have that much money.
    Can anyone here reccommend a good counsellor
    I'm not qualified to help but congrats on taking the most important step.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

barney 20v wrote: »
    I'm not qualified to help but congrats on taking the most important step.;)
    PS... Help will be along soon!its late!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 strained

barney 20v wrote: »
    PS... Help will be along soon!its late!;)

ok, sure I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭faccid

Hi google "my mind' they are therapist in dublin, they do reduced cost sessions for umeployed people or low income for 20 per session. They have practices all over dublin and other county's. They are great and deal with issues you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi OP

as per our charter we are not permitted to suggest specific professionals to you.
    Please go see your GP and get a referral. It can take a few sessions with a therapist so bear with it and never be afraid of seeking a recommendation to someone different if for whatever reason you find a specific therapist is not working for you.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi OP

as per our charter we are not permitted to suggest specific professionals to you.
    Please go see your GP and get a referral. It can take a few sessions with a therapist so bear with it and never be afraid of seeking a recommendation to someone different if for whatever reason you find a specific therapist is not working for you.

Right, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

OP going to the GP is the best step. Even if we could recommend someone I would still say see the GP first. They can rule out other factors like thyroid, liver, electrolytes, kidneys, hormone leves and so on and so on also. There are all manner of things that could add to this situation so it is WELL worth persuing. They can also recommend the best course of action if there is a mental health issue.

You won't know yourself once you get going. You've made the most important step as anothe poster pointed out, but you will feel good for actually going to an appointment and starting the road to recovery. We're all here too if you need to talk or ask anything. LOTS of people have been through similar to you and want to help. It definitely gets a lot better.

OP going to the GP is the best step. Even if we could recommend someone I would still say see the GP first. They can rule out other factors like thyroid, liver, electrolytes, kidneys, hormone leves and so on and so on also. There are all manner of things that could add to this situation so it is WELL worth persuing. They can also recommend the best course of action if there is a mental health issue.

You won't know yourself once you get going. You've made the most important step as anothe poster pointed out, but you will feel good for actually going to an appointment and starting the road to recovery. We're all here too if you need to talk or ask anything. LOTS of people have been through similar to you and want to help. It definitely gets a lot better.

There's nothing physically wrong with me its stuff in my life I need to talk to somebody about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

strained wrote: »
    There's nothing physically wrong with me its stuff in my life I need to talk to somebody about.

I obviously can't tell what is wrong, nor would I offer medical advice. HOWEVER, do not rule out that physical factors may be CONTRIBUTING to how you are feeling.

The GP will advise you on councelling services, psychologists, psychiatrists whatever your particular need is.

Don't focus on that part of my post, go see a professional and let them do their job: making you better. You wll be happy you did!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

If you want to talk to someone in the meantime while you are waiting to see your GP, these people are great they will just listened to you and are there for you at the end of the phone 27/7.

http://beta.dublinsamaritans.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

As per the forum charter:
    We often get requests for recommendations for therapists and the like in particular geographical areas.

We cannot give recommendations - you should choose a therapist based on how well YOU get on with them not how well someone else does, any thread asking for recommendations will be locked.

There is an excellent thread in the Psychology Forum on how to go about finding a counsellor, therapist or psychologist for yourself HERE which we recommend you read instead.

Best of luck OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement