Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good & free online writing courses

Options
  • 30-01-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I've just googled this and there seems to be a lot out there.
    I was wondering if any of you have experience with one of them.
    What was good/did you like about it?
    What was not so good about it?
    Do you get some kind of feedback?

I have some schooling in factual and creative writing from my journalism course but I'd like to explore the subject further.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Sorry to bump this thread, would really like to hear your opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

To be honest, I don't think you are going to have much luck. Good requires personal attention and feedback, and that costs money. If it's free, you're not going to get that.

An alternative is finding a writing group of the right standard and joining it. It's essential that everyone critiques honestly, and that they are all trying to get better. Fluffy bunny crits don't get the job done.

There's a good group here in "Write Club".

Hi Eileen,
    I thought as much.
    In the meantime I have been able to find a mini-course on the basics of characters - conflict - and settings. I found it pretty helpful, although as you said personal feedback would be what you need essentially.

I have been reading this part of the forum for a while and came across the Write club a couple of times. I just haven't been able to join it. DO you need to be invited by a mod? How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Hi Eileen,
    I thought as much.
    In the meantime I have been able to find a mini-course on the basics of characters - conflict - and settings. I found it pretty helpful, although as you said personal feedback would be what you need essentially.

I have been reading this part of the forum for a while and came across the Write club a couple of times. I just haven't been able to join it. DO you need to be invited by a mod? How does it work?

Pickaroony is one of the mods of it. Ask him and I'm sure he'll sort you out.

It's a closed forum, so anything on it is only visible to members and is not considered published.

That sounds great, I'll send him a PM about it. Just wondering if you have to post straight away? It's just that I've only started writing and I do not feel comfortable enough yet to have anyone read it. We have a saying in Dutch that goes 'Watching the cat out of the tree' which would compare to 'testing the waters' in English. I'd like to do a bit of reading before posting, if that's allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Here's one I dip into pretty regularly - more for motivation than anything else really.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/course/creative-writing-master-class/id550002605

The National Emerging Writers Programme is good.
    http://www.writing.ie/resources/the-national-emerging-writer-programme-starting-to-write/

Where are you based? Might be an idea to join a writers group?

That looks pretty good Donal! Will be spending some time listening/watching them.
    Currently based in Clare but moving to Galway soon enough. Do you know of any up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

I'm afraid not but I'd imagine you couldn't throw a stick in Galway without hitting a few !
    !

I'll ask in Charlie Byrnes. If anywhere, they would know.

Advertisement