Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Doctors?

Options
  • 30-01-2013 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Good evening boards' members,

I have a quick question and am unsure where it belongs.
    I attend a family GP regularly for arthritis. I have been with her for years and years. She knows me and does up my prescriptions on time etc.

But....I dont like her. Like on a personal level, her manners are appalling, she more or less called me fat two months post partum.
    I know it sounds ridiculous, why do I attend her if I dont like her?
    Its a familiarity thing, she knows all about my condition and is well read on it etc.,plus its been so long, the thoughts of getting a new doctor..I dont like going to doctors in general.

However, I am at a stage in my life now where I want to feel comfortable and relaxed with my doctor. I want a G.P. who is easy to talk to and is understanding. I want to be able to walk in and talk about whatever niggles or problems that crop up.The thing is, I dont want my current doctor to know I am attending someone else, I really am pretty certain
    that she would be offended, she is that type of person, and quite old-fashioned in her ways

So, I have a medical card..Is it possible to register with a new G.P without her contacting my current G.P? I would be totally mortified. I can pay the fee as i would only go now and then when I really need to, but do they have to get records or something?

Much appreciation for any thoughts or opinions,
    Brady.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

BradyH wrote: »
    Good evening boards' members,

I have a quick question and am unsure where it belongs.
    I attend a family GP regularly for arthritis. I have been with her for years and years. She knows me and does up my prescriptions on time etc.

But....I dont like her. Like on a personal level, her manners are appalling, she more or less called me fat two months post partum.
    I know it sounds ridiculous, why do I attend her if I dont like her?
    Its a familiarity thing, she knows all about my condition and is well read on it etc.,plus its been so long, the thoughts of getting a new doctor..I dont like going to doctors in general.

However, I am at a stage in my life now where I want to feel comfortable and relaxed with my doctor. I want a G.P. who is easy to talk to and is understanding. I want to be able to walk in and talk about whatever niggles or problems that crop up.The thing is, I dont want my current doctor to know I am attending someone else, I really am pretty certain
    that she would be offended, she is that type of person, and quite old-fashioned in her ways

So, I have a medical card..Is it possible to register with a new G.P without her contacting my current G.P? I would be totally mortified. I can pay the fee as i would only go now and then when I really need to, but do they have to get records or something?

Much appreciation for any thoughts or opinions,
    Brady.
    Hi

It should be easy to change GPs without having to go back to your current one. Visit your intended GP even if you have to pay. Ensure that you are happy because a move is a big thing. If you are both happy then your new practice should be able to fill out a change of GP form and send on to PCRS to change your card.
    According to your OP you speak of your "condition" and therefore it is highly likely that your records will be required for continuity. If so your new practice with probably have a standard letter which you will need to sign and post to your previous doc. Yes she may be offended, but you have to be comfortable and not upset/concerned every time you go in. So find someone new, make sure you are happy, and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

definitely go ahead and change but find a GP you like and one that accepts medical card patients...it may save you a lot of money in the long run...
    people change GPs all the time

and of course it is possible the feeling is mutual ie. that your current GP doesn't like you...! sometimes there are personality clashes etc etc

some info here on medical card stuff http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/gp_services/gp_services_to_medical_card_holders.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's easy to do. Just phone and ask if private.
    If GMS then you need to get the G to sign a form.
    All straightforward...

Advertisement