Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12.5 gram Post Budget Prices

Options
  • 29-01-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi All,

If I recall correctly, before the budget a pouch of Drum 12.5gm was approx €4.50, and a 25gm was approx €9.

The budget imposed a 50c levy on 25gm packs.

Therefore, new prices should respectively be around €4.75 and €9.50.

What I've noticed up my way, Drogheda area, is that the majority of retailers including centras and londis (not including Tescos interestingly) have put the 12.5gm up to €5.05.

Since I've noticed this, I have refused to buy after they have been scanned in these shops - and given a swift lecture on the situation to the poor person who is generally not the manager or price setter.

By my reckoning, that would mean that the retailers are fraudlently collecting taxes that are not due, which will ultimately end up with the retailers as profit.

I don't believe that this is necessarily fraudulent by design, I think that there are a lot of lazy muppets around that have applied a sweeping 50c to all of their loose tobacco products. Of course, there may be the few that knew what they were doing. In one retailer on the main street in Drogheda, I've danced with them 3 times in the past 3 weeks and every time their price is still €5.05. They for one can't say that they weren't told !

Really bugs me this one...... !!!

Have I understood this right here ?

THe fact that Tesco are selling at around €4.75 tells me that I do.

Has anyone else noticed this anywhere ?

Rant Over

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Crimson125 wrote: »
    I think that there are a lot of lazy muppets around that have applied a sweeping 50c to all of their loose tobacco products. Of course, there may be the few that knew what they were doing.
    Pretty standard, TBH. Retailers can't keep their prices the same all the time because of inflation. So when the price is going up anyway, because of a tax change,they put on their own price increase too.

Common sense business practice, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

You will also find that the suppliers may have had an unfortunately timed price increase as well (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

BeerNut wrote: »
    Pretty standard, TBH. Retailers can't keep their prices the same all the time because of inflation. So when the price is going up anyway, because of a tax change,they put on their own price increase too.

Common sense business practice, no?

Ya think ? Naaah, I don't buy it.

So why did they not put prices up on the 25gm aswell then ?

Only the 12.5 gm, and only certain retailers did it.

nanook wrote: »
    You will also find that the suppliers may have had an unfortunately timed price increase as well (maybe)

So why are certain retailers not charging this new higher price then ?

What seems more likely here ?

Cross the board application of 50c on all pouches by retailers,

or

some non-connected retailers decided to put the exact same price increase onto a 12.5 gm when the excise increase is applied and they all by chance charge €5.05 exactly after this uncoordinated increase.

Seems the best way to find out is ask them - I'll challenge this next time I'm in one of the offending shops and see if I can get a straight answer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Order from Holland, 50g pouch is €5.60. I get a Dutch mate to send me tobacco and it's duty paid so legal.

• Advertisement

docmol wrote: »
    Order from Holland, 50g pouch is €5.60. I get a Dutch mate to send me tobacco and it's duty paid so legal.

My dutch mates are here in Ireland unfortunately lol I've often done the duty free with any non smoker who is travelling anywhere, but not often enough to keep me in supply.

How about Poland ? That one I can organise as I have someone over there. Is that duty paid aswel or are they outside the EU at the moment ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

docmol wrote: »
    I get a Dutch mate to send me tobacco and it's duty paid so legal.
    It's not. If you aren't transporting the tobacco yourself, Irish duty is due on it.
    How about Poland ? That one I can organise as I have someone over there. Is that duty paid aswel or are they outside the EU at the moment ?
    Poland is in the EU and you can buy tobacco there and bring it over without incurring extra costs, subject to the rules enforced by the Revenue Commissioners.

Further posts on sending tobacco to Ireland from abroad will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

hi, i smoke amber leaf, in one shop its 9.90 in another 10.00 is this right,what price do u pay its the 25g pack

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Hi All,

If I recall correctly, before the budget a pouch of Drum 12.5gm was approx €4.50, and a 25gm was approx €9.

The budget imposed a 50c levy on 25gm packs.

Therefore, new prices should respectively be around €4.75 and €9.50.

What I've noticed up my way, Drogheda area, is that the majority of retailers including centras and londis (not including Tescos interestingly) have put the 12.5gm up to €5.05.

Since I've noticed this, I have refused to buy after they have been scanned in these shops - and given a swift lecture on the situation to the poor person who is generally not the manager or price setter.

By my reckoning, that would mean that the retailers are fraudlently collecting taxes that are not due, which will ultimately end up with the retailers as profit.

I don't believe that this is necessarily fraudulent by design, I think that there are a lot of lazy muppets around that have applied a sweeping 50c to all of their loose tobacco products. Of course, there may be the few that knew what they were doing. In one retailer on the main street in Drogheda, I've danced with them 3 times in the past 3 weeks and every time their price is still €5.05. They for one can't say that they weren't told !

Really bugs me this one...... !!!

Have I understood this right here ?

THe fact that Tesco are selling at around €4.75 tells me that I do.

Has anyone else noticed this anywhere ?

Rant Over

You recall incorrectly. The RRP of 12.5g Drum before the last budget was €4.80.

Maybe you're thinking of the previous budget. Hope you haven't been making a fool of yourself in too many establishments over perceived price discrepencies.

Either way, it's a bizarre situation in this country where we expect every shop to sell cigarettes/tobacco for the exact same price. Pretty much every other product can vary from retailer to retailer.

Advertisement