Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New evening sports programming for 2FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If RTE had any balls, they would remodel 2FM as an irish version of BBC5 live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Neither Des Cahill's Drivetime show or Sport at 7 worked out and given the fact that 2fm has a much smaller audience than RTE Radio 1 - I think Damien O’Meara has got a bit of a hospital pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

eiresandra wrote: »
    Interesting given the debate on the other thread today. RTE dropping Sport on Radio 1 at 7 and moving it to 2FM. One hour every night, but three hours when there are live matches.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/new-rte-sports-programme-774120-Jan2013/

At least it will save poor Dave all that voicetracking.

Which live matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

According to the article.... "UEFA Champions League action; coverage of the Republic Of Ireland’s soccer internationals; the provinces’ progression in the Rabo Direct Pro 12 and much more is set to provide us with live action that is unrivalled on Irish radio"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It'll have to do something really special to lure people away from Off the Ball... Live commentaries may do it, but the hour slot every evening might struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I think OTB have the majority of listeners here, strange they insist on going up against them still. Don't see live matches as doing the job, considering RTE television will be showing the match anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,079 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's replacing it on R1?

Very often still stuck in the car at 7, OTB usually grates and Fanning's Fab (voicetracking) Feckups isn't really listenable unless you like hearing the same Nick Cage song every night...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Neither Des Cahill's Drivetime show or Sport at 7 worked out and given the fact that 2fm has a much smaller audience than RTE Radio 1 - I think Damien O’Meara has got a bit of a hospital pass.

maybe ....or maybe not... I think there is a spot for a sports show which is not overly 'laddish' or 'banter' driven.

Good fast moving show with broad appeal would be a runner ,in my opinion.

Public all don't want a bunch of 'pillocks' annunciating their views in staccato bursts and hopping off each other and trying to score points.

Pubs and taxi ranks are full of that rubbish.

So O'Meara if he gets the right support could do well,however i don't believe RTE will have the cahunas to push out the boat enough to get traction.

Need to get above the 'laddish' stuff on OTB but adopt a less formal outlook.

Good luck with that in Montrose;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

maybe ....or maybe not... I think there is a spot for a sports show which is not overly 'laddish' or 'banter' driven.

Public all don't want a bunch of 'pillocks' annunciating their views in staccato bursts and hopping off each other and trying to score points.

Pubs and taxi ranks are full of that rubbish.

So O'Meara if he gets the right support could do well,however i don't believe RTE will have the cahunas to push out the boat enough to get traction.

Need to get above the 'laddish' stuff on OTB but adopt a less formal outlook.

Good luck with that in Montrose;)

I think I can safely say the vast majority of people would disagree with your stance. I think you're misconstruing the 'laddish' quality completely. Eoin and the lads have over the last decade honed the best sports magazine show in the country. They are essentially sports fans first, radio representers second and this is what makes the programme sound to real, natural and still fresh.

To distill a three hour show down to purely laddish banter is to completely ignore the breadth of sporting subjects they cover, be it murph on gaa or ken on football, throw in Giles and a host of contributors from around the world and it adds serious clout. Last year they spoke to a relation of Peter Norman a white Australian runner who gave the Black panther salute during the '68 olympics, a subject and person I was unaware of. One of the highlights over the years for me was the interview with swimmer Mark Spitz, fascinating stuff, unrivalled radio. Another highlight was Angelo Dundee, Muhammad Ali's trainer.

You are obviously not a sports fan and no I have absolutely no affliiation at all with Newstalk, I wish I did, I simply respect and admire quality programming and how they make it all seem so effortless. Might I add, Murph, Earley and Mcdevitt combined are probably on less money that Des cahill, that speaks volumes about the waste in RTE. This new programme is a lame attempt to appeal to listeners' inherent and blind loyalty to montrose, all it'll suceed in doing is highlighting just how good the award winnning Off the Ball is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

When has RTE's sports department ever produced a radio show like that? The same guy presented Sport at 7 off and on, it will just be more of the same. Except instead of being the most popular Radio station in the country in will now be on one that has been in terminal decline for years.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 Chuckie pooh

Maybe this is the start of a master plan to boost 2fms ratings by moving radio 1 shows over. Maybe Joe "go on ya" duffy will be moving to 2fm soon?

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Chuckie pooh

MYOB wrote: »
    What's replacing it on R1?

Very often still stuck in the car at 7, OTB usually grates and Fanning's Fab (voicetracking) Feckups isn't really listenable unless you like hearing the same Nick Cage song every night...

an extra half hour of fecking john creden is replacing it on radio 1. Arts show will be 7 till 8 followed by creedon from 8 till 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

an extra half hour of fecking john creden is replacing it on radio 1. Arts show will be 7 till 8 followed by creedon from 8 till 10.

Excellent news. He plays a great range of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭squonk

I said it on another thread but if I was still doing long commutes I'd be sickened by this rubbish show 2FM are planning. At 7PM in the evening I want alternative music and new Irish bands, not a load of GA and soccer bollox that you can see and hear almost anywhere else. What's worse is their proposal to extend the show to 3 hours when matches are on, so that pretty much means half the time given the Champions League rubbish and Ireland Soccer snorefests. The killer here of course is that RTE are already going to be showing this stuff on TV anyway which most sports fans will be watching at home or in the pub.

At this point they should bite the bullet and relegate Sport to a new channel, RTE Sport Radio or whatever they want to call it. They could make far more use of the time on R1 and 2FM providing more useful services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Has the person who described OTB as laddish and banter driven ever listened to the show?

I would have thought that OTB is the complete opposite of that,most less intelligent people I know hate the show because of this fact.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Has the person who described OTB as laddish and banter driven ever listened to the show?

I would have thought that OTB is the complete opposite of that,most less intelligent people I know hate the show because of this fact.

To be honest, I can see how that poster got that impression. If they tuned in during specific segments like Challenge Murph, Country Pages and the headlines at the top of the hour, which are done with a tongue in cheek attitude.

However, anyone who listens to an entire show would know that when the lads are interviewing or have guests in, it's a whole different animal of a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I'm predicting this new sports show will be gone by summer.

Thinks it's madness to go up directly against OTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I actually gave up on OTB due to the laddish banter and Ken Early's snide jokes; it doesn't really add a lot to what is otherwise a solid show. The content of interviews is up there, shame it can't up it's live coverage levels and make the most of it's show time.

That said, a longer RTE show will hurt OTB's book provided it's audience follows it across to 2FM and covers live games.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,079 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just thought, is this Monday-Friday? Would have thought Electric Disco was doing OK in its time slot, will it be truncated or pushed out?

Advertisement