Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending money for Thailand

Options
  • 29-01-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in May this year and am hoping to go for 25 days total. I've been told mixed things from people who've been, that it's "dirt cheap" etc, I'm doing some research and would just like to see if anyone has any advice or info on this matter.

I'm 24 year old male, will be travelling alone and living a modest enough backpacker life for the 25 days. Arrive in Bangkok, maybe 2 days there, then on to the south, do some island hopping, visit Chiang Mai in the North towards the end and then fly back from Bangkok.

Would around 900 euros spending money cover me? To include all accomodation, food, travel and living expenses etc. That works out about 1500 Baht a day or so...

Any advice/insight is appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, that works out about €36 a day all in, you'll be cutting it tight €5/€10 drom room a night meals street food/ small cafes €10 a day, you'll have transport and all the extras on top, plus if any thing goes wrong you'll need some money to fall back on, if you could up your cash to €50 a day making it €1250 you travel much easier. But budget around €40 a day and keep the extra €10 you save a day for emergencies and if you don't spend it, you can have a mad last few days with the extra cash or have a few € in your ass pocket for when you come home. It's all about budgeting because its very easy to spend spend in Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Cheers for that mate, yeah I was thinking a little extra would go a long way, even in feeling more secure while over there, knowing you have the extra few quid...

Thanks for the info!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You are going at an off peak time so it will be easier to get cheap accommodation. I was there at Christmas and accommodation was much more expensive than it was when I was there in may.

I was unsure about some aspects of my trip so I asked for info on www.reddit.com/r/Thailand

The people posting there live there and can give good advice. Generally I found that there is a way of having fun on any level of budget. If restaurants are too expensive, the ubiquitous food stalls aren't. If the first hostel is too much, walk down the road to the next or even to one of the "tourist offices" for info on places within budget. If the Heineken is too expensive, order Chang.

The tours over there are quite cheap, but there are always options to make things cheaper. Air Asia were the cheapest I found for internal flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Thanks for the info dr.bollocko! Haven't booked the flights yet, will do that around end of Feb. Flights are looking around 670 total return. I was hoping to do the whole trip for around €1500. Thanks for the link to reddit, will have a browse on that to find some more info! Much appreciated!

Advertisement