Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO 1 college, 2 choices

Options
  • 29-01-2013 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

May I ask if any of you know what the thinking is on applying to the same college for two different courses? My first and second choices are in the same college. But would I be considered to not know my ass from my elbow if I go for courses that teach different things essentially, even though from within the same field.

Is it a foot shooting move?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

May I ask if any of you know what the thinking is on applying to the same college for two different courses? My first and second choices are in the same college. But would I be considered to not know my ass from my elbow if I go for courses that teach different things essentially, even though from within the same field.

Is it a foot shooting move?

As long as you have valid reasons for wanting to study both there's no problem. Lots of people have diverse interests. The only issue is writing a statement that does justice to your interest and aptitude for both. You would probably need a few drafts to get it right.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Thank you for that Paperclip. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

I applied for 2 courses within DIT, and interviewed for both and was offered both. They were both within the Business school, but nobody batted an eyelid when I said I was would be delighted to be offered either, and also when I said I preferred one to the other, nobody seems to mind. My personal statement was fairly general, and focused on my interests, and read from either courses perspectives suited both.

Hope that eases your mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Thank you for that GHp. It does indeed put my mind at rest. Especially as both courses are with DIT also.

May I ask everyone another question please.

All this talk about, ensuring you inform them of any course you've ever sat even if you've pulled out and not finished it. etc.

I started doing a higher level degree with the IPA on a part time basis. I got my diploma at the end of 2nd year and did 2 exams from the third year syllabus when I had to withdraw from the course for personal reasons.

I have my certificate for the diploma. Do I need to to mention that I dropped the course mid 3rd year? Or is giving them the Diploma adequate evidence of that course? Any opinions?

Advertisement