Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters BTEA - Progression

Options
  • 29-01-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

In certain situations you can apply to Masters courses without an honours degree through RPL or recognised prior learning.
    If you don't have a degree, will that mean that the Masters is a progression and thus would count for BTEA?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

noonan23 wrote: »
    In certain situations you can apply to Masters courses without an honours degree through RPL or recognised prior learning.
    If you don't have a degree, will that mean that the Masters is a progression and thus would count for BTEA?.

This is what DSP says

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/A---Back-to-Education-Allowance-BTEA.aspx
    Note:
    The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification in any discipline, or
    a postgra
    duate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).
    Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

However

According to this - exceptions have been made before

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76985821&postcount=9

Just found it in the operational guidelines

Just found it here

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA purposes. e.g. Masters, MA, MSc, M.Phil etc. However, there is an exception to the eligibility rule for Masters based on ‘life experience’ whereby a person is admitted to a Masters programme without a primary degree. The person needs confirmation from the college detailing the basis of their offer of a college place and confirming that it excludes the requirement to hold a primary degree. A small number of cases have arisen where a college has granted an exemption from the requirement to hold a primary degree and has admitted a person to a Master’s course on the basis of relevant life experience. In the context of the ongoing review of the operation of the scheme, it was decided to extend entitlement to back to education allowance in these instances on an exceptional basis. Under no circumstances will BTEA be awarded to a person who already holds a postgraduate qualification

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement