Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Fees

Options
  • 29-01-2013 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Just wondering whether a student who would of qualified for a post graduate grant prior to the change in legislation is still entitled to free fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just wondering whether a student who would of qualified for a post graduate grant prior to the change in legislation is still entitled to free fees?

I don't really understand what you are asking. Could you explain some more what you mean?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

I'm having difficulty understanding whether free fees and grant are part of the same package?

I'm having difficulty understanding whether free fees and grant are part of the same package?

No

They are separate

There are no free fees for postgraduate courses. You can get a grant which will pay 2000 towards fees or possibly upto 6270 in fees.

Regardless of what you might previously have been eligible for - that is what you can get

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No

They are separate

There are no free fees for postgraduate courses. You can get a grant which will pay 2000 towards fees or possibly upto 6270 in fees.

Regardless of what you might previously have been eligible for - that is what you can get

Thanks that's what I wanted to no. No free fees for postgraduates, boo hoo! can you guide me to the legislation please?

Thanks that's what I wanted to no. No free fees for postgraduates, boo hoo! can you guide me to the legislation please?

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    Postgraduate fee contribution
    12. Subject to article 14(12) the awarding authority may award an eligible student or a tuition student pursuing an approved postgraduate course, a postgraduate fee contribution at the rate specified in Schedule 4.
    (8) A student or tuition student is not eligible for a maintenance grant if he or she is pursuing a postgraduate course.
    (11) Notwithstanding paragraph (9), a student or tuition student may be eligible for a fee grant if he or she is pursuing a postgraduate course and the applicant’s reckonable income meets the qualifying conditions for the Special Rate as specified in Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

what does subsection (3) mean?

What do you mean? Can you give me the paragraph?

Terry Pratchet

What do you mean? Can you give me the paragraph?

sorry i meant (11)

(11) Notwithstanding paragraph (9), a student or tuition student may be eligible for a fee grant if he or she is pursuing a postgraduate course and the applicant’s reckonable income meets the qualifying conditions for the Special Rate as specified in Schedule 1 and Schedule 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

can you still claim BTEA with such a fee grant?

sorry i meant (11)

It means if your income is less than 22,703 and you were receiving a social welfare payment then you can get a fee grant up to 6270

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

can you still claim BTEA with such a fee grant?

You can't get BTEA for masters

Terry Pratchet

Not for masters, Postgraduate i.e. H Dip?

It means if your income is less than 22,703 and you were receiving a social welfare payment then you can get a fee grant up to 6270

so the system is open to manipulation then? If i go on the dole I can qualify for postgraduates fees and grant?

so the system is open to manipulation then? If i go on the dole I can qualify for postgraduates fees and grant?

It's on December 31st of the previous year. You have to be receiving it on Dec 31st

I wouldn't say it is open to manipulation no

Terry Pratchet

It's on December 31st of the previous year. You have to be receiving it on Dec 31st

Mango, can you answer my question?

Mango, can you answer my question?

Ever heard of please?

I'm not sure - I'm going to look

Terry Pratchet

Ever heard of please?

I'm not sure - I'm going to look

Dont bother, if its that much trouble, I thought you knew obviously not, if you have to look

Dont bother, if its that much trouble

I'm trying to be helpful but if you're going to be rude and demanding I won't bother

Terry Pratchet

I'm trying to be helpful but if you're going to be rude and demanding I won't bother

Please indicate where I was rude? I merely asked if you knew didn't realise I had to say please.

My understanding is that you can get a postgraduate fee grant of 2000. I'm not quite sure if you can get the fee grant special rate.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

hmm thanks very much. What do you think of scenario such as this;
    A student completes a degree in May 2013. Applies for a postgraduate but can't enter because he hasn't the money. However, he joins the dole que the very same year without securing employment. Does he qualify for free fees in 2014?

hmm thanks very much. What do you think of scenario such as this;
    A student completes a degree in May 2013. Applies for a postgraduate but can't enter because he hasn't the money. However, he joins the dole que the very same year without securing employment. Does he qualify for free fees in 2014?

Possibly yes - I don't see that as manipulation - I see that as extra support because of his low income. I don't think anyone williningly goes onto the dole in order to get a postgrad fee grant

Terry Pratchet

My understanding is that you can get a postgraduate fee grant of 2000. I'm not quite sure if you can get the fee grant special rate.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/social_welfare_payments_and_the_student_maintenance_grant_for_the_2010_11_academic_year.html

Sorry for the confusion, but my question is, Can you receive BTEA + the grant/fees, Not for masters, but Postgraduate i.e. H Dip?

Sorry for the confusion, but my question is, Can you receive BTEA + the grant/fees, Not for masters, but Postgraduate i.e. H Dip?

No

You can get BTEA plus a fee grant of 2000.

I think - that you can possibly get BTEA plus a fee grant of 6270 but I'm not 100% sure

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for the help, but can anyone answer or point in the direction of a definitive answer?

Thanks for the help, but can anyone answer or point in the direction of a definitive answer?

No you can't. That provision was abolished in 2010.

I think;

Based on this;

Maintenance grant and BTEA
    Since the 2010/2011 academic year you cannot get a maintenance grant and a BTEA or a VTOS allowance together.

Exceptions: If you were getting the Back to Education Allowance and the student maintenance grant at the start of the 2010 academic year, you continue to be eligible for both payments for the entire duration of your current course.

If you have completed a course and now wish to progress to a course at a higher level, you can continue to retain your BTEA payment (generally up to and including level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications). However, you will no longer be entitled to the maintenance component of the student grant. You can apply under the grant scheme to have the student contribution and any tuition fees/field trip costs paid on your behalf under the fee component of the student grant (if you qualify) and for a postgraduate fee contribution (if relevant).

There is one exception to the general approach: if you are getting both BTEA and maintenance and wish to progress, without a break in studies, from a Level 7 Ordinary Degree to a one-year ‘add-on’ Level 8 Honours Degree, you can continue to avail of both BTEA and a maintenance grant for the ‘add-on’ year.

Fee grant
    If you are getting the BTEA you do not qualify for the maintenance component of the student grant but you can apply for a fee grant to cover the student contribution and any course tuition fees not already covered by the Free Fees Scheme. Essential field trip costs may also be covered under a fee grant.

Please note, however, that people getting BTEA may not qualify for payment of a fee grant – unless they meet the terms and conditions of the student grant scheme. If you are getting the BTEA and wish to apply for these charges to be covered by a fee grant you should apply for a grant as soon as possible.

If you are doing a Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC) course and getting the BTEA or a VTOS allowance you are exempt from the student participant charge (€200). You may have to pay a course charge for books, exam fees and other costs.

and this

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

That you can

Terry Pratchet

What provision?

Terry Pratchet

I dont think you follow what I am asking?

• Advertisement

That appears to be the answer, i.e it is possible to receive BTEA and full fees for a h dip, provided previous years earnings are below €22,703 per household, Thanks

Advertisement