Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD in iMac

Options
  • 29-01-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Got around to adding a Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD into my 27 inch Late 2011 iMac. The difference in boot time, application response and performance is huge. For example boot time is 6 seconds after entering password (fully encrypted). That's to a usable desktop. iTunes opens almost instantly with a 55GB database, also stored on the SSD.

The process was rated difficult, but there's enough guides and help and an excellent video on OCW. I bought their kit with the suckers, drivers, and all the bits to make it as easy as possible. Following the guide the process was straight forward.

I had previously noticed extending boot times and occasional lag, even with 12GB RAM. But she's flying now. Excellent way to boost performance and link speeds are showing up at 6GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Fair play Tazium, was thinking of doing this myself. Did you replace the HDD or add the SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

portcrap wrote: »
    Fair play Tazium, was thinking of doing this myself. Did you replace the HDD or add the SSD?

I kept the original hdd and added the ssd. Best performance improvement by reinstalling the OS to the new drive.

The guides are excellent and let you know what you will face in doing it. Have a look here http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

Advertisement