Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whooping cough

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Im not fully sure bout the ins and outs of whooping cough, is it dangerous to be around anyone with a cough? And how much is the vaccine? I've seen an article about a young girl who's 9 day old daughter got it I won't even finish the story after that. How many cases are there in Ireland of infants each year. This story has me fairly unnerved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whooping cough is highly contagious and any person or child who has it should be strictly isolated from unvaccinated individuals.

In very young infants it's a very dangerous and severe infection. In older children it usually resolves without issue but can lead to medium-term problems with the lungs. The actual management of the infection itself is quite difficult as it may persist for several months, so quite distressing for child and parent alike.

The number of cases in Ireland doubled last year, no doubt due to the increasing number of idiots refusing to have their children vaccinated.

Whooping cough is part of the 6-in-1 vaccination and it's free. If you just want to vaccinate against whooping cough without the 6-in-1 (though you shouldn't), it'll cost around €30. If you are currently pregnant, it's recommended that you get it as this will provide immunisation for your child until they receive the 6-in-1 at 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

seamus wrote: »
    Whooping cough is highly contagious and any person or child who has it should be strictly isolated from unvaccinated individuals.

In very young infants it's a very dangerous and severe infection. In older children it usually resolves without issue but can lead to medium-term problems with the lungs. The actual management of the infection itself is quite difficult as it may persist for several months, so quite distressing for child and parent alike.

The number of cases in Ireland doubled last year, no doubt due to the increasing number of idiots refusing to have their children vaccinated.

Whooping cough is part of the 6-in-1 vaccination and it's free. If you just want to vaccinate against whooping cough without the 6-in-1 (though you shouldn't), it'll cost around €30. If you are currently pregnant, it's recommended that you get it as this will provide immunisation for your child until they receive the 6-in-1 at 2 months.

Thats some relief that I can do something about it now so there's a good chance of beby been ok. I really want to get home from the hospital after giving birth within a day or so I think there's too much going on in hospitals for baby's to be completely safe and been at home you limit the amount that visits the house. Will look into the Vaccine next week when Im in for next appointment.

Does it matter how far along you are Im 30 weeks now so is that too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shouldn't be too late. Between 20 and 34 weeks I think is the recommended time for pregnant women.

Ok maybe I should ring for this week with my own GP and ask them how to handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The whopping cough vaccination recommended for pregnant women is a 3 in 1. It also contains a vaccine against tetanus and diphtheria. There is no single whooping cough vaccination for pregnant women.

The hse say it has to be given between 28-32 weeks but the nhs say up to 38 weeks.

• Advertisement

I best say it in the GP's so and make sure am not gonna be too late

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Closing thread as we can not give medical advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement