Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for free fees as a mature student / on BTE

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Im applying to college as a mature student (Im currently doing a PLC), i qualify for back to education which i should recieve next year as well.

As a mature student or some one thats on BTE do i automaticlly qualify for free fees ? if so whats the procedure for applying and is there a date that i need to apply by?

and just to clarify does free fees mean they will cover your €2,500 or whatever the yearly registration cost of your course is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

EU Fee Fees are granted to you automatically if you have never been in 3rd level before. If you have been in before, you may be eligible for 'second chance free fees' provided you have been out of 3rd level education for 5+ years.

The €2,500 is the Student Contribution Charge, which is sometimes referred to as the 'fees' as the student is expected to pay them. You do not get these covered, but you can apply to SUSI for a grant to pay them. You will still be expected to pay a student levy which can range from €150-250 depending on where you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

This stuff can be seriously confusing.

So free fees do not cover the €2,500 Student Contribution Charge.
    Then what exactly does the free fees cover, i guess just general cost of sending someone through college?

Out of curiosity how much would your standard level 8 course cost with out free fees?

well i did on year of a degree that i started in 06 dropped out in 07, so that mean i should be entitled for the second chance

just seen on http://www.citizensinformation.ie

"If you are getting Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) you may qualify for exemption from the student contribution"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Here is a breakdown of a General Arts Course for UCD

Total : 5809
    EU Fees: 3126 - Paid by the Govt.
    Student Contribution: 2500 - You can apply to SUSI for this
    Student Levy: 183 - This you pay.

If you weren't eligible for the EU fees you'd be paying the full 5809 per year, though with budget changes this has increased.
    Since you've been out of Ed for 5+ years, haven't a degree and are over 23, you should be able to get the EU fees as a second chance student.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Casshern88 wrote: »

just seen on http://www.citizensinformation.ie

"If you are getting Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) you may qualify for exemption from the student contribution"

This basically means you apply to SUSI to get them to pay the 2500 fee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement