Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is tennis really a higher standard now?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Commentators these days keep saying how the game is getting better and better, especially men's tennis. I've heard many say Roger Federer is better now than ever, the rest have simply caught up. IMO this is nonsense designed to market tennis to the masses.

Federer of 2006 would absolutely annihilate 2013 Federer. He would comfortably beat them all except for Nadal on clay. Just look at youtube clips of him at his peak in 2006. There's no comparison to Fed now.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Its tough to call. The Federer of today is definitely smarter, but his younger self was obviously more agile and more of a risk taker. But then again he had the talent to actually pull off those hail mary shots.

I reckon if he went back in time to play his younger self it could go either way!

Tennis is for sure not as good as it used to be. Only an idiot would believe that. Its just a bit more athletic now. The guys are fitter, but the standard of tennis has dropped IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think Federer is still as good as he ever was. The other's couldn't touch him playing the way they were playing so they adjusted and have this new super fit way of playing which gives them more of a chance to beat Federer. They're all capable of playing really good tennis at times but it's rare to see Djokovic or Murray play a full match of stylish tennis. It's mostly grinding.

It's probably a matter of personal taste but I don't really like to watch any of the top 4 these days. It's all very boring.

• Site Banned Posts: 4 Petesampras

I think Federer is still as good as he ever was. The other's couldn't touch him playing the way they were playing so they adjusted and have this new super fit way of playing which gives them more of a chance to beat Federer. They're all capable of playing really good tennis at times but it's rare to see Djokovic or Murray play a full match of stylish tennis. It's mostly grinding.

It's probably a matter of personal taste but I don't really like to watch any of the top 4 these days. It's all very boring.

Have a look at some youtube videos of 2006 Federer, the difference is night and day. He simply can't do with a tennis ball what he could then. He's slower, has less stamina, faded reflexes and can't hit winners like he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Cany believe you get banned for thinking Federer is not as good as he used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

The commentators and players can talk some bull about how the standard has lifted. I even heard Miles Maclaggan say on Sky the other day that Nadal will have to improve on his previous level if he wants to win titles because Murray and Djokovic have taken the game to another level since he's been out.. seriously?! If Nadal regains the level he had a few years back on clay then he'll be the favourite for the French Open, and if Federer could play like he did in 2007 he'd be world number one still.

Tennis has mainly changed in one way. The slower courts have put more of an emphasis on stamina and tracking down balls. Novak and Murray are the best retrievers in the game, Ferrer and Nadal are right behind them. I don't mind such ability being rewarded, but there need to be balance in the game. How many court surfaces of big tournaments favour offensive players?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

StevoTG wrote: »
    I even heard Miles Maclaggan say on Sky the other day that Nadal will have to improve on his previous level if he wants to win titles because Murray and Djokovic have taken the game to another level since he's been out.. seriously?!

ROFL!!! Those clowns get so much attention its sickening. I'd watch grass grow before I'd watch those two play each other.
    StevoTG wrote: »
    I don't mind such ability being rewarded, but there need to be balance in the game. How many court surfaces of big tournaments favour offensive players?

Man, it would be so hype to get that kind of tennis back again. The rankings would be turned upside down!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Rob2D wrote: »
    Man, it would be so hype to get that kind of tennis back again. The rankings would be turned upside down!

Upside down!
    Which players would go to the top of the rankings and how far do think Murray would drop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jacobian Transformation

" Federer as good as he ever was".

You've got to be kidding. Prime Federer would never have played as bad as yesterday against Benneteau.

It seems the propaganda in the tennis media is working like a treat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

" Federer as good as he ever was".

You've got to be kidding. Prime Federer would never have played as bad as yesterday against Benneteau.

It seems the propaganda in the tennis media is working like a treat.

Yes, because of course one match defines a player completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 The Generaliser

Yes, because of course one match defines a player completely.

It's not one match though. Fed now versus prime era is like night and day. He is so slow now in comparison and hits far fewer winners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement