Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 + Netbook screen resolution issue

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

So I just bought an Acer One netbook which only had Win7 starter pre-installed.
    I looked into my options for an upgrade and it was about €80 for Win7 premium and €29 for Win8 pro under the special offer.

I went for Win8 as it sounded like the better deal. Ran the test to check everything was ok for Win8 on my netbook and then took the plunge.

Now it turns out the screen resolution is too low for almost all of the apps to run!

The max on my netbook is 1024x600 and the recommended for Win8 is 1024x768.

Is there anything I can do? Win8 is pretty pointless in this current state/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Batesy wrote: »
    So I just bought an Acer One netbook which only had Win7 starter pre-installed.
    I looked into my options for an upgrade and it was about €80 for Win7 premium and €29 for Win8 pro under the special offer.

I went for Win8 as it sounded like the better deal. Ran the test to check everything was ok for Win8 on my netbook and then took the plunge.

Now it turns out the screen resolution is too low for almost all of the apps to run!

The max on my netbook is 1024x600 and the recommended for Win8 is 1024x768.

Is there anything I can do? Win8 is pretty pointless in this current state/

Nope. It isn't just recommended at 1024 X 768 for Metro apps. That's the minimum.
    I installed a netbook just before Christmas and found the same issue.

However Windows 8 isn't pointless on your netbook.

1: You can't use the Metro apps as they need 1024X768. However I've got Windows 8 on several desktops and don't use any Metro apps. e.g. you can't use the Metro version of IE but you can use the standard normal desktop version of IE. The Metro apps are kind of pointless and irritating without a touchscreen anyway.

2: Windows 8 flies on the netbook I put it on. I think it's well worth it for the performance boost (could be all in my head though).

You don't need to use the new Start menu (much). I've created icons on my desktop for my common apps. The only time I need to go to the Start menu is when I've just installed something or need to get something I rarely use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Yeah, I suppose I need to just play around with it and make it work for my needs.

I only installed it last night so it's all new and I just got a bit frustrated with none of the tiles working.

Is there a way to make it boot to the desktop on start-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Yeah, I suppose I need to just play around with it and make it work for my needs.

I only installed it last night so it's all new and I just got a bit frustrated with none of the tiles working.

Not easily. You can get start replacements or tools to boot to the desktop. Or do procedures like this
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/make-windows-8-boot-straight-to-the-desktop/6976
    I played with them but I install so many PCs I gave up with them. You'll get used to hitting Windows Key + D
    I do it without even thinking about it on boot.
    Microsoft should have had an option in Windows for this be default if the user wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,204 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes very easy. The best free package that will do that out of the box for you (and that will also give you the start button back ;) is classic shell

I've W8 pro on a very old netbook (much older than yours) and it is flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Get used to it... :D

Z43iHNd.jpg

StatMenu8 is another freebie doing the usual, boot to desktop, add start button and menu, deactivate hot corners, etc... just make sure to deselect the installation of Advanced System Care during setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,204 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The best of them all (I've tested pretty much everything I could find) is Start8

Not free, I paid something like €3.40 for it :)

Advertisement