Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who plays Th Secret World?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I've rooted around in the search archives but can't find any threads. Is there a general consensus that it is ****?

Comments

I really loved the idea of it, i played the beta and hated it. Character creation is a big thing for me. Found this game really restricted on that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I tried it for a few days but just couldn't find anything that interesting about it.. I also have very low respect for Funcom over their previous treatment of customers, so I ended up walking away..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

I find it to be the best game I ever played.... Did the wow thing for a few years.. also Neverwinter nights.. This is just an atmospheric hard and great game.. Love it. I play with a group of rl friends twice a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Gonna logon for my first game later on. I'm really looking forward to it. I loved Dreamfall and the Longest Journey so I'm expecting good things from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I just picked this up on the steam sales and i have to say, the starter area is a big a step above any other mmorpg I've played. The atmosphere is great, all the quests are voice acted. The quests are way better than the 'kill 10 sheep' crap I've played in nearly any other mmorpg.

Really looking forward to the other areas if this starter area is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm kicking myself that I didn't get it in the steam sale,it's free to play now?

Yep free and I'm not seeing the store brandished in my face, in fact I haven't needed to even visit a merc yet ^ ^.
    Loving the double weapon thing too, great builds available, currently rocking a sword, pistol combo (tried the elemental starting and it wasn't a patch on this damage-wise, meaning I killed less mobs / got less xp and items) and its doing insane damage.
    Important to put points in your amulet wearing skills.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Crap! I'm tempted to buy it now :eek::pac:

So I took the plunge and brought the game g2play for 15 and the key they sent me is invalid on steam :-/

Aww that sucks! Still, you don't really need steam for this, although having the game available is always good.

• Advertisement

Aww that sucks! Still, you don't really need steam for this, although having the game available is always good.

Ya I got onto support and they told its through the website you do it *slaps forehead*

Ya I got onto support and they told its through the website you do it *slaps forehead*

So did you manage a game yet?

Played it last night, bloody hell where does the time go. I finally dragged myself away from it at 2am.
    Great fun altogether, I'm almost ready for my first dungeon, really looking forward to it.
    I've still got a ton of quests to do in the starter area, all of them are bloody interesting and fun.

Ya its actually really cool,really enjoying it,I've only played a handful of mmo's,this and guild wars 2 are the only two to hold my interest :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The starter zones in TSW are really great and I hated leaving them. The lack of a respec for skills were a major issue for me tho (not sure if its still the case) and the voice work is the best of any MMO Iv played to date and puts TOR to shame. The difficulty does ramp up a tad to much for a first time player tho and the sub cost is just not worth it imho.

When this goes F2P it will be awesome :)

Its not quite F2P but it is, if you buy the game, which was on sale on steam recently.

Venom wrote: »
    The starter zones in TSW are really great and I hated leaving them. The lack of a respec for skills were a major issue for me tho (not sure if its still the case) and the voice work is the best of any MMO Iv played to date and puts TOR to shame. The difficulty does ramp up a tad to much for a first time player tho and the sub cost is just not worth it imho.

When this goes F2P it will be awesome :)

What are the zones outside the starter zone like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What are the zones outside the starter zone like?

OK but not nearly as good and the mobs start to hit damm hard. The whole epic feel of the starter town with its call of cthulhu vibe is just not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr_Tayto

could not play the game ,was getting 16000ms .....Honest!!!
    I have a perfect connection 10mg and had been with support day after day and they couldnt find a solution , so i had to leave the game completely .
    Really wanted to get into that game ,ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jimai

Great game!

Nice scenery, great atmosphere (The Fairground!). Interesting character/skill development. And the most important aspect for me is the story. With the voice acting and cut scenes, you really feel part of it. Not like a lot of others where I don't even bother to read the quests! And not because I don't like reading. All the main quests have cut scenes and voice acting. It's just the side quests that don't.

All the zones are pretty good. Though, Egypt did seem a bit empty when I was playing there and it does feel big! I have just started in Transylvania and it looks pretty good. The Windmill is amazing! It's just less Lovecrafty after the first couple of maps.

Respec: You don't really need to respec. You just need to start learning different skills. It doesn't really take that long unless you are near the end.

The additional paid for contents (Issues) are nice. A little bit over priced really but it's worth it. So far anyway. They have a big update coming up - a whole new zone, Tokyo. Haven't bother to read much about it yet. So, I don't if you have to pay for it or not.

One let down is the character customisation (as someone mentioned earlier). It's nothing like some Korean games and very limited. You are very likely to see someone looking like you running around. Their focus of character customisation is clothing. There's tons of it. Some are reward, some you buy with in-game currency and some you buy with real money. There's enough in-game cloths that you really have to spend real money.

They also have good events which usually involves 100s of players attacking something really big like the Gold Golem from the last event. Everyone can participate. And everyone gets rewarded.

They had a trail awhile back but you can probably buy the game for €15 of less these days. Well worth having a look. I don't think there is anything else like it out there (setting wise).

And I never had any connection problem, even when there were 100s players on! Though, my PC had troubles keeping up.

Another thing: It's a game that you really have to think! Or look up the internet - a lot :)

• Advertisement

It's a bit late but you can buy The Secret World in the Steam Flash Sales for €9.99 for the next 35 minutes. It will probably come up again though.

Advertisement