Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Service

Options
  • 29-01-2013 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey all.

Looking to get my car (vauxhall astra 1.7 cdti)serviced tomorrow.
    Today i noticed a small oil leak with it! Just wondering would they fix this as part of the service or will it be a separate fix?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If it's the oil drain plugs rubber washer thing (I believe that is the technical term :D), then it should be fixed. If it's leaking somewhere else, would be extra. Mention it to them, ask them to see where it's coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The garage will need to find the cause of the oil leak. It could a quick easy fix or take longer to find the cause of the leak. This would not be part of a routine service imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said, mention it to the mechanic and they'll let you know what the problem is and how much it is to fix. You might get lucky and it's an easy fix while they are under the car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Any idea of cost?
    Vauxhall Astra Club 1.7 cdti

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any idea of cost?
    Vauxhall Astra Club 1.7 cdti

It's impossible to give an idea of cost without knowning what is causing the oil leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

if it's the sump plug or oil filter assembly it wont cost you anything as they'll be changing the sump plug washer and filter with an oil change regardless (or at least they should be). It could be more expensive though - impossible to know without knowing what the problem is.

Just drive carefully today and tomorrow, keep an eye on the oil level (make sure you dont drive it if it's below the min marker).

hopefully it's something simple like the sump plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

bazz26 wrote: »

It's impossible to give an idea of cost without knowning what is causing the oil leak.
    Sorry ment to say would the service cost much seen as its 1.7 diesel or does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Sorry ment to say would the service cost much seen as its 1.7 diesel or does it matter?

The price of the service depends on what's due.

As referance, we charge €65 for an oil change service and €159 for a full engine service, vehicle inspection and diagnostic check.

The likes of brake fluid changes, if due, would be extra.

As referance, we charge €65 for an oil change service

Going off track for a second, but something i've always been curious about - Would most garages buy in bulk amounts of one or two types of oil and use it for all cars? I assume it's probably good quality stuff but are there never compatibility issues with oil specifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Going off track for a second, but something i've always been curious about - Would most garages buy in bulk amounts of one or two types of oil and use it for all cars? I assume it's probably good quality stuff but are there never compatibility issues with oil specifications?
    Any garage that would use the same type of oil for every car would be incompotent and should'nt be at any cars. Most cars today take diffrent types of oil with diffrent types of spec eg (505/507 spec) so just using one type on all cars wouldnt be good practice at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Well our oil supplier told me that only 3 or 4 garages in the Dublin area that they supply keep the full range of oils in stock.

It simply isn't possible to use just 2 or 3 basic oils for all modern cars.

We keep 2 1000L tanks of standard 5w30 fully synthetic and 10w40 semi, 2 200L drums of 5w40 and 5w30 low ash(BMW LL etc spec) and numerous 20L drums of various manufacturer/engine/transmission specific oils and we still have to order a specific oil for a car sometimes.
    2012-11-27114913.jpg
    2012-11-27114919.jpg

cheers for indulging my curiousity guys

Advertisement