Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find elegant writing journals/notebooks?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Apologies for double posting but I have also posted this query in the Sligo forum but thought it might reach a more like-minded audience if I posted here aswell.

Just wondering do any of ye writers know where to get elegant writing journals/notebooks, something that would be suitable as a gift for a writer/artist/poet?

All I seem to be able to find is refill pads and basic black/blue hardbacks.

I don't mind if any recommendations are expensive, ideally I would like something with a leather/suede cover with a tie or something bound with cream cotton paper etc something very tactile like a keepsake.

I'm based in Sligo but if ye know of anywhere around the country that might have what I am looking for I would appreciate the information.

I am looking for something along the lines of this:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Paperblanks, can get them in easons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

bluewolf wrote: »
    Paperblanks, can get them in easons
    Thanks for the reply. I think I saw this make in there but they were all diaries. They were on a Perspex stand that looked really shook out. I will go back in tomorrow and ask about it. Thanks for the name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yea they do diaries but notebooks too
    Difficult to resist :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a present of 2 lovely notebooks from TK Maxx, of all places. It could be worth checking there for the chance of a bargain, if there's one near you.

I got a present of 2 lovely notebooks from TK Maxx, of all places. It could be worth checking there for the chance of a bargain, if there's one near you.

Thanks would never have thought of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

There are plenty places to buy these online, e.g. http://www.blankjournals.co.uk/

These are for sale in stationery stores here in Limerick too, if you want to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

The problem I have with these notebooks, is that I'd be afraid to ruin them by writing crap in them. I'd just leave them there, looking pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Eason's carry paperblanks and Moleskines. I love me some Moleskines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The problem I have with these notebooks, is that I'd be afraid to ruin them by writing crap in them. I'd just leave them there, looking pretty.

Wait til the missus writes the shopping list in them, then you won't care :pac:

davyjose wrote: »
    Eason's carry paperblanks and Moleskines. I love me some Moleskines.

Easons in Sligo were useless. Ask about the Paperblanks, they said all the had left was the diaries as I had see and that they weren't getting anymore of that product in and to try the website.

So wait up to 5 working days for a product from a shop thats in my own town. :cool:

Moleskins I would have loved but they hadn't them either or anything to offer me for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

TK Maxx do some really surprisingly amazing notebooks. Got some lovely and very pretty TeNeues ones (very similar to Paperblanks, but with less of a cream / more of an ivory coloured paper) and two or three leather bound ones, one in particular that has a snakeskin effect and is an A5 size.

Like Toasterspark said, the prettier the notebook, the harder it is to use them. What if you make a mess? Then the pretty is marred forever!

Best of luck! Also, Etsy would be a fab place to look (some sellers do gorgeous leather notebooks in beautiful colours, some with patterns) if you can limit yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Blush_01 wrote: »
    TK Maxx do some really surprisingly amazing notebooks. Got some lovely and very pretty TeNeues ones (very similar to Paperblanks, but with less of a cream / more of an ivory coloured paper) and two or three leather bound ones, one in particular that has a snakeskin effect and is an A5 size.

Like Toasterspark said, the prettier the notebook, the harder it is to use them. What if you make a mess? Then the pretty is marred forever!

Best of luck! Also, Etsy would be a fab place to look (some sellers do gorgeous leather notebooks in beautiful colours, some with patterns) if you can limit yourself!

How much are these notebooks going for in TK Maxx?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

SueBoom wrote: »
    How much are these notebooks going for in TK Maxx?

Last TeNeues one I got was about €7, last leather one was either €11 or €14.

Seriously cheap, as notebooks go.

Advertisement