Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.A, Engineering, Maths and HEAR

Options
  • 28-01-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hello, and apologies in advance for what I'm sure are fairly usual questions from prospective students here, I've been checking out past threads on these topics but I'm looking for an opinion and a bit of discussion on them if possible, I read the rules and I'm admittedly nervous about posting anything lest I miff someone but I don't think I will! I'm currently a repeat student who last year was incredibly unmotivated, didn't want anything at third level due to serious personal problems and no goals (that I thought were achievable). I did alright in my Leaving Cert but not fantastic. However this year upon going back and doing higher maths, I've discovered I have the interest and ability for it. I'm working hard and all my exam results this year have been promising. I've always had a passion for computing, but I'm struggling to choose a first choice on the CAO for this year. I've decided on DCU for my top choices anyway due to the high regard in which their degrees are held and also the demand for hard work and commitment.
    My questions ultimately are:

Computer Applications: What people thought of the course and a bit more explanation of the somewhat scary drop out rates. From what I understand a lot of it is people not understanding what they're getting into, I know full well it will be programming and by no means a walk in the park. Fiddling around with my computer and some basic scripting is a big interest of mine.

Engineering
    : Again, what people thought / are currently thinking of the course and exactly how much having completed all three sciences at Leaving Cert would help if my goal in this course was electronic engineering.

Maths
    : I've heard there's a maths center of sorts, a drop in sort of thing? Has anyone found a lot of use in this? It sounds fantastic.

HEAR scheme: I guess I'd just enjoy hearing from someone's experience with the HEAR scheme, I'm currently fulfilling the criteria, and would be fairly surprised if I didn't get it, it seems to be quite helpful but I'm hoping to get enough points through this rigorous study regime, I'm wondering more about the 'additional supports'.

Thanks in advance, sorry for such a mammoth of a first post but I needed to make a boards account at some point anyway and this seemed like the perfect reason!

Edit: Apologies, clicked save before the tags box popped up, assumed it was one word only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kiliagan

Engineering: Again, what people thought / are currently thinking of the course and exactly how much having completed all three sciences at Leaving Cert would help if my goal in this course was electronic engineering.
    I'm currently in 3rd year doing Mechatronic Engineering and I love the course saying that I've wanted to do engineering all my life and this course since I found out about it. In school I'd only done physics and from that you learn the bases of mechanics and electronics including Ohm's Law which you use all the time. In first year of the course there is a module that covers mechanics, chemistry of an atom and how they bond, and cell biology where you learn the very basics of DNA and it duplicating itself and other cell stuff. So having done the three sciences will give you an advantage there in seeing the stuff before. Also all engineering courses in DCU share a common first year so you get to experience a bit of both mechanical and electrical before choosing your path for second year.
    Computer Applications: What people thought of the course and a bit more explanation of the somewhat scary drop out rates. From what I understand a lot of it is people not understanding what they're getting into, I know full well it will be programming and by no means a walk in the park. Fiddling around with my computer and some basic scripting is a big interest of mine.
    From the people I know in the course the dropout rate is due to people coming in thinking it's all games and facebook and don't realize the amount of work they have to put in to learning to program or they struggle with a subject and don't ask for help with it such as every year people struggle with the maths module and don't ask for help but if they'd gone to the maths learning center or gone to a friend in the course.
    Maths: I've heard there's a maths center of sorts, a drop in sort of thing? Has anyone found a lot of use in this? It sounds fantastic.
    I've never used it myself so have no personal experience with it but I've heard great things. Yeah you just drop in with your notes and they will help you try and understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Kiliagan wrote: »
    I'm currently in 3rd year doing Mechatronic Engineering and I love the course saying that I've wanted to do engineering all my life and this course since I found out about it. In school I'd only done physics and from that you learn the bases of mechanics and electronics including Ohm's Law which you use all the time. In first year of the course there is a module that covers mechanics, chemistry of an atom and how they bond, and cell biology where you learn the very basics of DNA and it duplicating itself and other cell stuff. So having done the three sciences will give you an advantage there in seeing the stuff before. Also all engineering courses in DCU share a common first year so you get to experience a bit of both mechanical and electrical before choosing your path for second year.

From the people I know in the course the dropout rate is due to people coming in thinking it's all games and facebook and don't realize the amount of work they have to put in to learning to program or they struggle with a subject and don't ask for help with it such as every year people struggle with the maths module and don't ask for help but if they'd gone to the maths learning center or gone to a friend in the course.

I've never used it myself so have no personal experience with it but I've heard great things. Yeah you just drop in with your notes and they will help you try and understand it.

Ah wow, thanks for the information and the swift response! Physics is definitely my favorite of the sciences alright, and it seems to be very applicable to engineering, and the common year seems to be a very good way of sussing the best path for someone to take.
    As for Computer Apps, I don't think the maths would be the biggest concern for me after this year, definitely wouldn't have a problem asking for help when needed, repeating the worst year of your life has that impact on you haha! And thanks, it's good to know people have heard good things about the maths learning center!
    They really do seem like two very rewarding courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

GrezzC wrote: »

Engineering
    : Again, what people thought / are currently thinking of the course and exactly how much having completed all three sciences at Leaving Cert would help if my goal in this course was electronic engineering.
    Your question about the course is very vague and very personal to each individual, I love Electronic Engineering but you may not.

I don't think its feasible to be able to tell somebody exactly how much doing all three sciences for the Leaving Cert will help with the course as somebody who hasn't done them could pick them up a lot easier than you. It can't hurt to have done them and do well in them.

Maths
    : I've heard there's a maths center of sorts, a drop in sort of thing? Has anyone found a lot of use in this? It sounds fantastic.
    I've never used it but hear its little to no use to anybody studying Engineering as our Maths is way beyond that of the tutors there. If you do have any trouble with Maths you can always contact the lecturer or ask the Students Union if they know anybody who could give you grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Your question about the course is very vague and very personal to each individual, I love Electronic Engineering but you may not.

I don't think its feasible to be able to tell somebody exactly how much doing all three sciences for the Leaving Cert will help with the course as somebody who hasn't done them could pick them up a lot easier than you. It can't hurt to have done them and do well in them.

I've never used it but hear its little to no use to anybody studying Engineering as our Maths is way beyond that of the tutors there. If you do have any trouble with Maths you can always contact the lecturer or ask the Students Union if they know anybody who could give you grinds.

I'm sorry, That was asked poorly and probably isn't a realistic question. Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I probably should have mentioned of my results it was the sciences that were good, it was languages that brought me down really. rather than just coasting through the courses and 'having done them'. But aye, It's a bit of a silly question sorry.

Ah right, Fair enough. Engineering's maths sounds pretty demanding.
    I'm pretty sure I've got my CAO application finalized now anyway, thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Engineering

Did the degree in computer aided mechanical and manufacturing engineering. Found studying physics at LC helped, if only because you've seen some of the most basic stuff already. Engineering at LC helped for the first year workshop projects.

One tip I have is to really make the effort in the core maths module. It's not difficult to pass but doing well in it will serve you in the future. I did average in first year maths due to plain laziness and not fully understanding some of the concepts can make some of the future modules more difficult to grasp. Countless times I had to refer back to my first year maths book in 3rd and 4th years and even in my Masters so you'll end up putting the work in somewhere down the line.

Also I thought I would love electrical/electronic engineering but quickly decided it wasn't for me after first year so you never know 100% what direction you'll go in, which is why the common first year is so handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement