Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taste

Options
  • 28-01-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

Started last week in the States, it's basically The Voice for chefs and cooks. Really good format - all tasting is done blind, so regular home cooks can get through and professional chefs can get sent home.

The judges are Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludo Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey.

I give it a year before we have The Taste of Ireland and The Taste of Britain. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The tabloids are saying that this is Nigella's American TV debut - either not knowing or plain ignoring the fact that she did 'Nigella Feasts' for Food Network a few years back... :rolleyes: ;)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/nigella-feasts/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 85,664 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Begins tomorrow (January 7) at 9pm on Channel 4

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got bored with it after 4 or 5 episodes. Never finished it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The editing was so Americanised.... Lingering close up shots... Pretending there is conflict when there is none.

Progression seemed based on matching a good gender / ethnic / telegenic mix.

Laughed at the young lad bursting into tears & Nigellas response, so contrived.
    Though I may have done similar just to nuzzle into those bosoms.

Overall quite boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

watched this last night....a couple of cringeworthy moments, especially when lawson went over to "comfort" the young lad crying - she was like a wooden stick and seem to have no idea what to do, so just got up and went back to her chair. Very concocted.. why all the close up of eyes and pouting. Don't think I will be following it through.

off topic, but does anyone know when My Kitchen Rules is starting - I think it is sometime in January - a much more realistic show.

I loved Anthony Bourdain on his programme around the world. i think it was called No Reservations...this programme seems a bit of a come down for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

All the judges are very annoying for different reasons. I'm really not sure about it at all. They've very much focused on the reality TV side of it rather than the food. The food is just there because they need a subject. I'd imagine that there will be all sorts of drama throughout. It's very predictable too because of the way it's edited. All that said, I'll give it another go next week.

MKR posts moved to a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I'm a big Masterchef Uk fan but I thought it was a bit boring. Anthony has written some great books but looks like he is just there for the pay packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I am liking the craziness of Ludo. Nothing beats a crazy French man in a kitchen.

Still not sure if I actually like the programme or not. Not enough about the food. I would like more close ups of the food.

watched it last night again...it was okay (not as bad as the first week). They were justified in sending that boy home - most of what he did was assembly, as the finger biscuits were bought and I think the dried strawberries were bought - it is a cookery show after all. (maybe he is a Nigella fan...she tends to buy a lot of stuff too with her cookery). :D:D

• Advertisement

Lost one million viewers the other night according to the papers. Can't see it getting a second season with such poor ratings.

2nd season already confirmed. Hopefully they shake up the formula a bit.

I liked the second episode better than the first but again, they're focusing too much on the reality TV aspect of it and not enough on the food.

Mr E wrote: »
    2nd season already confirmed. Hopefully they shake up the formula a bit.

I'm shocked! It needs a lot of work.

watched this again last night - god it's like watching paint dry...take out the clips of ludo shouting and close up's of nigel's false eyelashes and there's nothing left but a waste of food.

terrible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have been watching it. Not one of them has an ounce of personality between them!

I've been watching it (once I start something I'll get sucked in!) and the format really exposes their weaknesses as cooks. They obviously have talent if they have managed to go this far but more often than not the judges don't like what they've cooked. I said earlier in the thread that they're focusing on the reality TV aspect rather than the food and at this stage the reality TV aspect has pretty much taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I think they could have done it all in half an hour. An hour is too long, as mentioned above there is such a waste of food. Every member of each team cooking a dish, where only one will be chosen to be served and then one spoon served.

i found a way to watch this show - fast forward to the first tasting to see who gets immunity - then fast forward to the last part to see who gets kicked off - ten minutes tops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 furbster

I actually kind of like this show. I think Nigella is beautiful and Ludo's cute, but such an ass!

• Advertisement

has everyone given up watching this show.... :D I haven't watched for two weeks. should be called ' the waste ' instead of the taste.

has everyone given up watching this show.... :D I haven't watched for two weeks. should be called ' the waste ' instead of the taste.

I watched it up until after the first challenge in the final. At that point (and admittedly I should have formed this opinion long ago) I decided that it was bullsh1t and turned it off. I found out who won on Twitter. The people in the final didn't deserve to be there, apart from maybe Dixie, and the winner definitely didn't deserve to win.

Terrible show. I'll watch crappy reality shows no problem and stick with them until the end to find out who wins but this is the first time I've turned something off during the final.

I watched it up until after the first challenge in the final. At that point (and admittedly I should have formed this opinion long ago) I decided that it was bullsh1t and turned it off. I found out who won on Twitter. The people in the final didn't deserve to be there, apart from maybe Dixie, and the winner definitely didn't deserve to win.

Terrible show. I'll watch crappy reality shows no problem and stick with them until the end to find out who wins but this is the first time I've turned something off during the final.

agree bobblehead panda.

I loved anthony bourdain and watched him all the time - love his no reservations show - he let himself down I think going on this show. The worst cookery show in all honesty - it was an effort to try and watch it every week - in the end I gave up (even with fast forwarding a couple of the shows to see winner of challenge and loser of week). In the end I decided life was too short to suffer through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

More4 is showing The Taste USA - starting tonight Sunday March 16 at 7.00pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-taste-usa

Advertisement