Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i copy everything back?

Options
  • 28-01-2013 9:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm after installing windows onto a new hard drive and setting everything up again.

I've make a copy of all my photos/videos etc.

I also copied program files and other stuff on the old hard drive.

Can I just copy it all back in without any problems?

I can't remember what program I used to unzip files etc - is there any way I can find this info out from my back up files?

This is the only annoying thing about setting up windows fresh imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Your files should work fine.
    However your programs - nope - you need to reinstall them so that they update the registry telling windows what they are and how they should work.

If you used a backup program it should have an option to restore which in most cases will work for you - but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I can't remember what program I used to unzip files etc - is there any way I can find this info out from my back up files?

What are the file extensions for the archives? (You may need to enable file extensions) If they're ZIP, RAR or 7Z use 7-Zip.

If they're not, look up the file extension or post it here. If you're not sure, don't attempt to extract them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

What are the file extensions for the archives? (You may need to enable file extensions) If they're ZIP, RAR or 7Z use 7-Zip.

If they're not, look up the file extension or post it here. If you're not sure, don't attempt to extract them.

I have file extensions enabled. The program was WinRaR. I found it in my backup files. So how do I go about getting this installed back on C drive from external drive?

I have file extensions enabled. The program was WinRaR. I found it in my backup files. So how do I go about getting this installed back on C drive from external drive?

Download an installer from their website and install it from that, do not copy the program files to your new Windows install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

You should have during the reinstall cut your hard drive in half making two partitions. Put windows on one and your pics, music and stuff on the other. You wont ever have to move them then during the install then. If you havent done much might be worth doing now before the pc fills up. Helps keep things clear and organised.

• Advertisement

Download an installer from their website and install it from that, do not copy the program files to your new Windows install.

Ok, thanks.

Annoying having to do this and look for drivers, but sure it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You don't even need to have two partitions just create a new folder for Data and structure it with sub folders according to the way you want to arrange your data.

Just avoid using any folders starting with "My". Then as long as you don't reformat the drive when reinstalling your Data folder along with it's sub folders will not be overwritten.

You can configure, usually in options/preferences, any software you use office etc to store your data in the folders you want rather than any default ones.

Ok, thanks.

Annoying having to do this and look for drivers, but sure it has to be done.

You can use Ninite to automatically install some of your programs.

Doylers wrote: »
    You should have during the reinstall cut your hard drive in half making two partitions. Put windows on one and your pics, music and stuff on the other. You wont ever have to move them then during the install then. If you havent done much might be worth doing now before the pc fills up. Helps keep things clear and organised.

Yes, This is what I wanted to do initially, but I don't know how to do it properly.

Any links? How much space would I need to leave for the windows partition? I've a 1TB hdd installed.

Advertisement