Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBAC or CBAC

Options
  • 28-01-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone care to share whether they had a successful VBAC or CBAC? And the reasons why? Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I had a whole long post written out and then I lost it... grrr....

I had a VBAC 14 months after an emergency c section. I was still undecided two weeks before my due date when I had a chat with my consultant (public in the Coombe) and he explained that I had a good chance of delivering vaginally and that if I were to go too far over due that I wouldn't be induced that I'd just have another c section. The pro's for csection were that I would know when the baby was going to be born so I could organise childcare etc. The cons were looking after a 14 month and a newborn after abdominal surgery! So I decided to give the labour a chance.

I started getting mild pains on my due date, so went into hospital to be checked. They kept me in to monitor me in case of scar rupture. I started getting contractions around 2am, got the epidural at 6am and she was born at 10.40am. The midwives kept telling me to push but I was like "I don't know how I've never done this before!".

They were about to get the kiwi ventouse out to suction her out but she was out by the time they got it organised. I tore a little bit but not much. I have had another vaginal (without pain relief) birth since and that was even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I love ur story January! I better be able mimic it in 13 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thanks January, great to hear a positive story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

January, I can echo your story almost identically, I had an emergency CS in 2006, and successful VBACs in 2008 and 2011. I cant imagine how hard a CSAC would be with a smallie at home. My VBACs were 3-4hr labors, with little pain relief and lots of control. I had a tear on VBAC 1 and not on VBAC 2, but VBAC 1 was a posterior birth.
    I can only say 2 words to you though as these words meant I had calm, controlled, painful but manageable, quick labors. The 2 words - Gentle Birth. Just do it, you will not regret the 70e.

Can I ask, was a VBAC really pushed during antenatal care, or was the option of another section discussed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The exact words out of my consultants mouth were "you have X% chance at a successful vaginal birth but if you really want the c section we can organise that".

lazygal wrote: »
    Can I ask, was a VBAC really pushed during antenatal care, or was the option of another section discussed?

When I saw consultant first time this time - I said I wanted a vbac and he looked surprised and said good for you and has been totally supportive since! He says even tho only 14 months between births I have a 60% chance of successful vbac! And I can go as long as 12 days overdue if I like before they will section me, which I am relieved about as I can't imagine any baby of my husbands ever arriving on time ;)

Thanks Dublinlady. Is there a different overdue policy for VBAC vs 'normal' delivery options? Glad to hear it was successful with 14 months of a section.

lazygal wrote: »
    Thanks Dublinlady. Is there a different overdue policy for VBAC vs 'normal' delivery options? Glad to hear it was successful with 14 months of a section.

Well not sure if successful yet... Due on may 2nd :D
    They told me that difference with vbac and being overdue is that basically they can't induce you - so due to risk of scar rupture they generally section u ten days overdue, my consultant happy to try 12. However you can elect to have a section from 39 weeks and they will let u change ur mind as the days pass after that. I.e if I say now I want to be left to it even tho I would go 12 days over that's fine, but if at 40 weeks I've had enough I can elect for a section then. For me if I go 12 days over - its automatic section. He said if my cervix is favourable on that day (I.e I was about to go into labour) he can break my waters - but only if its favourable. No other method of induction is appropriate as it puts too much pressure on the scar.
    If I do (hopefully ) go into natural labour before my 12 days are up then I will be given 4 hrs to "trial the scar and attempt labour" if after 4 hrs the labour is not progressing at a reasonable rate I will be sectioned. So I won't be allowed the normal 8 hrs holles st suggest. They will also want me in for close monitoring straight away as opposed to the normal first few hrs at home!
    I'm really happy with this approach. I feel it's giving my body a fair chance but at no point leaving me in risk. I feel that it's appropriate to be sectioned in the above circumstances as with a baby at home whom I absolutely adore I don't wish to risk my health for the sake of a vbac! Saying that the reason I want a vbac is the same - for my daughter - I want a quicker recovery so that ill be better able to look after her when her little sister arrives. I'm happy in holles st I found a good balance!
    Hope that helps - everyone's wishes and reasons are different and it's about finding out what's right for you!

Thanks very much. I'll be attending Holles St so great to get the info. I know they are very pro vbac which I like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found the information on vbac really confusing. I had an emergency section on my first and during my second pregnancy I asked a million times whether they would nice, how long id go over, would they use oxytocin etc.

I got a million different answers...we won't let you go over....we will let you go over...come in as soon as your contractions start dont come in until you're ready...we won't induce...we will induce. they told me they can't use oxytocin but then when I was in the delivery ward and the second baby was in distress the doctor said they would normally at that stage use oxytocin but they weren't sure if the baby would survive so they had to get him out asap. nothing to do with scar rupture...all about the baby.

if I was going again I would demand a section...it was lovely going into labour naturally on the second but after 2 babies going into distress, 2 sections sod the natural way I wouldn't put myself through the labour just to wind up on the operating table again.

but its all academic because I aibt having anymore babies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Thanks all for v helpful posts, facing into this dilemma myself now with second pregnany. First one was emergency c and awful but I'm reading up v seriously on the pros and cons of both, time will tell how it pans out but healthy me and baba is the preferred outcome however we get there. :)

Quick update. Had my first appointment with the same consultant who delivered my first baby. She was very upfront about my options and the risks/benefits of both. Health notwithstanding, we won't need to make a decision either way until closer to the time but she made it clear that if I wanted an elective section, that was something I could have. Let's see how things are next September!

Advertisement