Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running emulators without operating system

Options
  • 28-01-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Hey lads wondering if you could help me with a problem. Bought a barebones pc ( thanks boards.ie bargin alerts ) I want to use it for movies and games. I'm using it to run XBMC from boot up with no os question is can the same be done with mame, snes etc I can run emulators and that no bother in windows but don't want to use it on the media pc. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

can you not install mame inside xbmc like you would on an xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

safetyboy wrote: »
    can you not install mame inside xbmc like you would on an xbox?

Yep I think so but i tried it with the rom launcher add on and could never get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yep I think so but i tried it with the rom launcher add on and could never get it to work.

Isn't XBMC 'live' basically Ubuntu so if you can get MAME working via the command line then you could get it working via ROM Launcher in XBMC

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

KeRbDoG wrote: »

Isn't XBMC 'live' basically Ubuntu so if you can get MAME working via the command line then you could get it working via ROM Launcher in XBMC

I always used mame 32 but I'd forgot about the xbmc way I'll give that a try again. Im sure I could find a tutorial online or even utube. Thanks again

I'm using it to run XBMC from boot up with no os question is can the same be done with mame, snes etc I can run emulators and that no bother in windows but don't want to use it on the media pc. Any help appreciated.

Not sure about running without an OS, but you can run mame and zsnes as the windows shell of an operating system like windows XP, so you don't see the explorer environment. Your machine just turns on and boots straight into the emulator. The OS is running in the background and is still accessible, but you never see it.

A lot of arcade cabinet builders use a program called instant sheller to do this. You can also hide your boot up and shut down screens with it, and remove all traces of the windows environment. The idea is you make your favourite frontend the PC shell, and then launch multiple emulators or programs from that frontend via it's menu system.

You could just as easily point it at mame too, if you only wanted one program to ever run on boot up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement