Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felt B12 (2011) vs Planet X Pro Stealth Carbon (SRAM Rival/Force)

Options
  • 28-01-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey, I'm looking for some advice. Iv about €1600 to spend and my two options are Planet x Stealth direct from UK or else a Felt B12 2nd hand....looking to get a TT bike for the tri's this year..ill be doing sprint, olympic and missle distance..
    any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm not a huge fan of PX bikes BUT I know some boardsies have had horrific problems with the build quality of Felts.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

I rode a PX stealth for 2 years, its decent value as an entry level TT bike, however the geometry isnt perfect for tri. The Felt has a steeper seatube angle, an is a far more aero frame. (+IMO looks better)

Cant comment on the quality of the felt but my PX was ok - wasn't the stiffest, lightest or most aero frame around but it served its purpose and took a fair bit of abuse.

Most important is fit, get a professional fitting done and figure out which works best for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

I did read of some build quality issues with the higher end felt frames headset etc.. primarily the DA but I've nothing about the cheaper gear. Although Tunney would hear alot more than I would about such things

I have a 2011 B16 that has given no issues over the last 2 seasons. Was used quite a bit last year and I have it on my turbo all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Apologies its the Felts with Bayonet forks that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Apologies its the Felts with Bayonet forks that are the problem.

Broke my heart. Apparently it's sorted in the newer models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

cheers lads..yea i think the fork is supposed to be ok....any other options ye might recommend for that price??..do deep section wheels and aero helmet make a big difference?
    the aim is to get near enough to the hour for 40km by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

I think the first thing is to get a good fit on the bike so make sure you choose well. The Felts have a good range of fit as long as the frame size is not too far out. After that I beleive it's the helmet and then the fancy wheels if you have the cash. Wheels look great, the helmet makes you look like a tool, but bang for buck the helmet must come first if it's speed you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamescantwell

sound out ray..yea im veering towards the felt..its a 54 frame, im nearly 5'10 so i reckon thatd b ok....id look like a nob in the helmet, but i might be able to pick up a cheap one!
    ill check out the aero wheels on the felt before i decide bout the PX wheel deals

Advertisement