Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a canon printer/scanner working on Lubuntu 12.10

Options
  • 28-01-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

I cannot get a canon pixma MP110 printer scanner combo working on lubuntu. Reading up it seems I might never get the scanner going, which is very rarely used and could be used via a laptop.

I have read another driver for canon ip1000 would work but can also not get it working.

This page keeps coming up when I search about it,
    http://ubuntuportal.com/2011/12/how-to-install-canon-printer-driver-for-linux-ubuntu.html
    but it seems out of date. When I do the command to get it
    sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series
    it seems to be no longer available.

One guy said
    The easiest way to use this printer seems to be to do the following

1) Add a new software source (System -> Administration -> Software Sources)

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/ubuntu ./

2) Install the following packages (System -> Administration -> Synaptic)

libcnbj-2.5 bjfilter-2.5 pstocanonbj

3) Add the printer normally and when it asks you to pick the driver, find Canon and under that choose iP1000.

After this printing works. Canon website says that they do have scanner drivers for linux for some models, but I have not tested this.
    But I cannot manage step 1, I figure his is for ubuntu and I have no experience and do not know the equivalent in lunbuntu

I did manage to get an alternative ip1000 driver installed but it did not seem to work with it, I could not get a test page to print. I can't remember the exact error/problems I saw.

This more recent thread doesn't give me much hope.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+bug/959043
    7) The following printer models were either not added, or removed, as they cannot currently be supported, even experimentally, owing to an as-yet unknown command format or other issues:
    Canon PIXMA i250, i320, i350, iP90, iP90v, iP100, iP1000, iP1200, iP1300, iP1500, iP1600, iP1700, iP1800, iP1900, iP2200, iP2500, iP2600, MP5, MP10, MP55, MP110, MP130, PIXMA PRO-1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Lubuntu has it's own version of Software Center I believe (doing a quick google) and through that you can access the Software Sources.

if not it's just a file anyway: /etc/apt/sources.list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Had a look at the PPA from your first link. The guy is still compiling the driver you want, but under a different branch of his ppa. Try changing the first line to:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon-trunk

And then proceeding as normal from there. The second one looks very out of date, so I wouldn't spend any time on it. Instructions should work without any change in lubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That new link worked, thanks. But then I had trouble doing the next step, it seems installing the other driver I found caused trouble.
    @PC:~$ sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    hyphen-en-us libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-help-zh-cn
    libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-za libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn linux-headers-3.5.0-17
    linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic mythes-en-au mythes-en-us openoffice.org-hyphenation
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following NEW packages will be installed
    cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/1,507 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 5,131 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    (Reading database ... 192514 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series (from .../cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series_3.70.1-0~24~quantal1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series_3.70.1-0~24~quantal1_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libcnbpo230.so.1.0.9', which is also in package ip1000-driver 2.5
    dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/cnijfilter-pixmaip1000series_3.70.1-0~24~quantal1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So I guess I have to remove this first, but have no idea how. I did try and reinstall the printer, but in the drivers I have no ip1000 option anymore, it did have one with a v2.5 beside it.

Did the other driver install from a .deb or from another repository?

I am only new to linux, I am pretty sure it was a .deb though. I downloaded a few files and ran them so presume this is .deb, this was the only one that worked for me that I downloaded.

I saw guys saying to delete stuff, but I did not seem to have permissions. I changed to be a root user but still did not seem to be able to delete any previous files with ip1000 in the name. Some said this was not the correct way anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah its a bad idea to just delete the files. If you run "sudo dpkg -P ip1000-driver" to remove the old deb and then try installing it from the repository again.

That worked thanks. I was able to print a few things and basic stuff worked, trying to print a colourful pdf page gave errors, and a gmail page did not work, must be due to it being the incorrect driver.

I could probably cut & paste into libreoffice or something.

Is there any other ways I could go about getting it working, like Ndiswrapper ?

This could be a shot in the dark, but it might be worth a try. Could you try converting that colour pdf that gave your errors using the pdftops command and see if the resulting ps will print.

Advertisement