Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which would you go for

Options
  • 28-01-2013 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

Buying myself a Mondeo, and I'm looking for a couple of opinions. I am torn between a 2010 Zetec S or a 2008 Titanium. Both are 1.8TdCi 123bhp both have about 70K miles on the clock. The zetec is maybe €2k more expensive

Obviously, I would prefer the titanium spec, but I'm just wondering now if I would be better off getting the newer car from a resale perspective, thinking 3/4 years down the line when I'm bored with it and want to change again. Or would the higher spec model hold its value better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id go with the higher spec. Always the higher spec. The reg game means nothing to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

listermint wrote: »
    Id go with the higher spec. Always the higher spec. The reg game means nothing to me tbh.
    I'd niormally agree, but that's based on older cars. The difference between a 3 year old and a 5 year old car is a lot in fairness., especially when it comes to resale time. In 4 years time a 2008 mondeo will go for peanuts regardless of trim level whereas a 2010 will still retain some resell value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP is asking from a resale perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It basically boils down to how much you are willing to pay overall for a better spec car. Personally Id prefer to lose a couple of grand on a car that I am going to spend the 3-4 year enjoying driving, as opposed to driving around in a lower spec car in an effort to save a bit. Each to their own.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP is asking from a resale perspective.

Thats fine, I never think of resale value. I always thing of how comfortable i want the car to be in my term of ownership. Not what the next person will or wont pay for it.

Adding my own opinion on it. Maybe it didnt answer his question directly but i thought it would add an additional flavour to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

To be honest, this wasn't even a question before saturday because I was all set to get the Titanium. I am getting it off a mate in the trade and was definitely going for the higher spec until he said he would do me a deal on the 2010 if I wanted it. The real kicker was the 2 years in the age. If it was a year, I wouldn't even be asking this question.

I blame my mate for showing it me the 2010 in the first place!!:)

To be honest, this wasn't even a question before saturday because I was all set to get the Titanium. I am getting it off a mate in the trade and was definitely going for the higher spec until he said he would do me a deal on the 2010 if I wanted it. The real kicker was the 2 years in the age. If it was a year, I wouldn't even be asking this question.

I blame my mate for showing it me the 2010 in the first place!!:)

I suppose the question is, what are all the bells and whistles worth to you ?

forget about the next person for the moment and remember never treat a car as an asset. Its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

It's not like the Zerec S is poverty spec either. Get the 2010 car, it's an absolute no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thats fine, I never think of resale value. I always thing of how comfortable i want the car to be in my term of ownership. Not what the next person will or wont pay for it.
    Me too in principle, but the resale value has just as much of an effect on cost of ownership as the purchase price. He knows that he'd prefer the older car, but he's worried that it it might be more expensive ownership proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Will the 2010 be worth the price difference or more when you come to sell it? If not then the better specced 2008 might be a better buy. The titanium spec is an infinitely nicer place to spend time in than the zetec too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Will the 2010 be worth the price difference or more when you come to sell it? If not then the better specced 2008 might be a better buy. The titanium spec is an infinitely nicer place to spend time in than the zetec too.

Half leather, some chrome, different alloys and a digital display. Not a huge amount. Although, the seat is a more comfortable one admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Half leather, some chrome, different alloys and a digital display. Not a huge amount. Although, the seat is a more comfortable one admittedly.

Is the OP actually talking about a Titanium or a Titanium X? The Titanium isn't really that much better speced than the Zetec and replaced the old Ghia model. The Titanium X is the top spec model with the leather/alcantara heated seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

bazz26 wrote: »

Is the OP actually talking about a Titanium or a Titanium X? The Titanium isn't really that much better speced than the Zetec and replaced the old Ghia model. The Titanium X is the top spec model with the leather/alcantara heated seats.

Titanium. Ford Convers+ and a decent stereo as well as nicer wheels and all round better styling IMO are the main extras. To be honest I'm hoping that this will all become a moot point if he can come back to me with a reasonable price on a 2009 titanium.

Interesting debate though, some people put a premium on spec others put it on newness.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be getting the zetec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'd go for the 2010 zetec. Maybe if the 2008 was a titanium x I would think different. Going up two years is worth more than a slightly higher spec. And from experience people generally pay more for the year when you sell it second hand. A zetec is a standard enough spec so when selling it on people won't think of it as being poverty spec and most will be happy enough to buy a zetec spec. As was already said 2 years is a big difference on such new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Just my opinion . Having owned a 2008 titanium 1.8 tdci they are a fine motorway car but the 1.8 is not nice in traffic. I was told this by bazz before I bought it. I found it ok but my wife hated it. The 2008 model suffers from steering rack trouble. Mine had to get a refurbd one but was never 100%. So looked into getting ford to fit new one. €1500 ?!?!. Car gone now for petrol mazda. Only reason I got titanium was because I hated the silver in the zetec. I agree the titanium x has lots more toys. Id hold out for a late 2010 zetec facelift model with much nicer all black interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

I would prob go for the zetec aswell but if I were you I would hold out for a 2.0 tdci as its a much better engine than the 1.8. Is the 2010 zetec or zetec s and if it is what's the diff?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zetec S is a UK trim level, not sure if it was even available in the current model Mondeo. There was a Sport model which was based on the Zetec so I presume that is what the OP is referring to.

Like this one:
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Ford/Mondeo/5_Dr_Hatch/details-570659-Ford-Mondeo-5_Dr_Hatch.asp?Track=Portal

Advertisement