Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Company making Astronomy Shed

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

its a company in wicklow they built it for me and put it down
    im not in bed with them or any astronomy shop you know the
    saying if you want anything done do it yourself the problem is
    im not a handyman and i know theirs no chance of any astronomy
    club members helping you i think this is a must in ireland as you
    know lifting mounts and scopes around is not nice and the poxy
    weather we have now.

Ballyfreegardensheds.ie

observatory.jpg

observatory_side_open.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Wont be able to see much from that thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

kepler22 wrote: »
    its a company in wicklow they built it for me and put it down
    im not in bed with them or any astronomy shop

Your first ever post is an advertisement. You can understand how we might be skeptical of your claim that you are an impartial party...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Looks very flimsy tbh. Support posts for the roll off roof look like they're about to buckle. Overpriced too. Plenty of guides on the net for even the most inexperienced to build something far more substantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I dunno. The roof looks light enough so the supports, while on the light side, should do the job fine. As for viewing from it? You'd want to be able to rise the telescope to clear the top edge of the wall and then need to realign the mount. Unless you have some fancy schmancy mount.
    If not then you'll not be able to see below, say, 30 degrees? Not the end of the world but not ideal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

shedweller wrote: »
    As for viewing from it? You'd want to be able to rise the telescope to clear the top edge of the wall and then need to realign the mount. Unless you have some fancy schmancy mount.
    If not then you'll not be able to see below, say, 30 degrees? Not the end of the world but not ideal either.

That was my thoughts also, back garden observatories are usually low on ground to be able to cover low altitudes... but its not too bad I suppose as long as you can higher the scope and its a refractor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

its a company in wicklow they built it for me

How much did it cost you and would you post pictures of the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

i am not following...you claim that you are not conected in any way to the company but you are posting two different examples (note at the door positioning)...
    would be nice to see the end result that you got.and another thing ,what way are you going to mount your head?as i recon with a tripod would be difficult to move around inside?

That's the trade-off with roll off roof type versus dome type, your view of the sky is hampered to some extent by the shed. Although, you can park your scope in a horizontal position so it will clear some of the wall when slewed into observing/imaging position. Also using a larger shed will give you more distance between scope and wall giving you more clearance towards the horizon. Can also put some of the top section of the walls on hinges so they fold down.

I'm still not convinced that the build is substantial enough for the type of weather we're experiencing at the moment. Not to mention how secure it might be against intrusion.

Here's a self-build by a novice builder that is far more substantial. It's adapted from a metal shed available from Argos (€450).

Edit: As Nerro said, those are two different sheds in the OP. Looks like a wooden floor in there too. Placing a tripod on the wooden floor is a no no, as anyone who's attempted observing from decking will know. You'd need a pier set into concrete with wooden floor installed around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Tzetze wrote: »

Here's a self-build by a novice builder that is far more substantial. It's adapted from a metal shed available from Argos (€450).
    Jaysus he went all out!

Jaysus he went all out!

Not really, there's no warm room attached. Now this is all out! :pac:

• Advertisement

Jaysus he went all out!

Dont think its too advanced DIY in fairness, clever stuff more like !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not really, there's no warm room attached. Now this is all out! :pac:

No hot tub!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 kepler22

this is not the shed i just used these pics as they are the ones i sent him.

davej wrote: »
    Your first ever post is an advertisement. You can understand how we might be skeptical of your claim that you are an impartial party...

davej

if it was my shop i would just say it theirs always one this is what
    you get when trying to help im not the one charging a euro to have
    a look dont worry im not from astronomy ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

this is not the shed i just used these pics as they are the ones i sent him.

How much did it cost you and would you post pictures of the inside?

Pictures are from UK site, many in UK selling those (example here) - I can see it can work with a Cassegrain short tube for instance, see this arrangement i found online (click pic for source):

Observatory_Clair_20050626_interior_an_browse.jpg

Overall however I still think it would be cheaper to build this yourself or go with the metal shed option, usually bigger and cheaper. See this for instance, 8x6ft Metal for 400quid

i gave the wrong company its Gardensheds4less.ie the one i gave was
    another one but was the two ones that were willing to built it Gardensheds4less.ie
    done it for me for 690 euro it you want to build your own fine im just trying
    to help the pics i showed are only pics i sent the shop just to show mine
    is a 6 x 8 pent roof not a apex roof like those ones.

Hi Kepler. So I guess maybe you're not a shill after all then. :)
    Any chance of putting up some pics of your new obsy? It'd be nice to see the job they did for you and how it's coming along.

Hi Kepler. So I guess maybe you're not a shill after all then. :)
    Any chance of putting up some pics of your new obsy? It'd be nice to see the job they did for you and how it's coming along.

tzetze i sold my canon 550d and got a atik 383c ill try and post
    some images for you here,s one the very same as mine same roof
    too it was its just painted same size as well i have the skyshed
    pier as well this shed is the very same no difference at all the
    other shop in wicklow was giving me all extra stuff i taught they
    were bleeding building me a house but it was 1150 euro i said
    bollox no way im paying that so i went for the cheaper on for
    690 euro but the other one had got more stuff stronger wood
    it had loads of stuff i didnt need.

Advertisement