Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increasing range

Options
  • 27-01-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi
    I recently purchased a r/c boat 24.Mhz and felt that the range is very limited. The boat has no external antanae. Is there a way to increase range bearing in mind that im not that gifted with eletronics.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

think its 2.4 you have dont know of 24 mhz maybe i am wrong but if its 2.4 the antanae is on the receiver two thin wires coming out of it about 3 inches long make sure they are straight and 90 degrees to each other i fly planes on 2.4 you should have no problem with range their good for 3 miles i think make sure theirs no water getting in around the receiver had a car before that the receiver was getting wet and now and again it would have a mind if its own also have you all your battery's charged full flat battery's can make rc stuff do funny things

• Registered Users Posts: 38 supergunner

think its 2.4 you have dont know of 24 mhz maybe i am wrong but if its 2.4 the antanae is on the receiver two thin wires coming out of it about 3 inches long make sure they are straight and 90 degrees to each other i fly planes on 2.4 you should have no problem with range their good for 3 miles i think make sure theirs no water getting in around the receiver had a car before that the receiver was getting wet and now and again it would have a mind if its own also have you all your battery's charged full flat battery's can make rc stuff do funny things

Thanks for the reply Peter the receiver is internal so il have to open it up and check. Would it be worthwile extending the antanea so its external ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks for the reply Peter the receiver is internal so il have to open it up and check. Would it be worthwile extending the antanea so its external ?

No you dont want to extend them. The antenna length are short due to the high frequency which gives short wavelength.

Check the receiver is not being blocked by metalic items or carbon fibre.

It might just be that the radio is just short range. As peter says, aircraft 2.4ghz radios are good for a couple of miles, I have had a real test out to 4.5km a couple of years ago. But other radios have only had range of a couple of hundred meters.

Bruthal wrote: »

No you dont want to extend them. The antenna length are short due to the high frequency which gives short wavelength.

Check the receiver is not being blocked by metalic items or carbon fibre.

It might just be that the radio is just short range. As peter says, aircraft 2.4ghz radios are good for a couple of miles, I have had a real test out to 4.5km a couple of years ago. But other radios have only had range of a couple of hundred meters.

Cheers Bruthal
    The thing is im not even getting 100 meters . Il charge up everything again and do a dry run to see is it any better.

What type of radio do you have some of them radios that come with models are not the best but you should be getting more than 100 meters ill put money its the wires on the receiver all bundled up rc stuff can drive you mad

• Advertisement

Cheers Bruthal
    The thing is im not even getting 100 meters . Il charge up everything again and do a dry run to see is it any better.

Make sure not to point the transmitter aerial toward the receiver, it should be perpendicular as much as possible.

What type of radio do you have some of them radios that come with models are not the best but you should be getting more than 100 meters ill put money its the wires on the receiver all bundled up rc stuff can drive you mad
    Peter its a Yierda radio i wud say its not the best quality but i opened it up and found a small bit of water but its difficult to see anything with the amount ot polystyrene.
    Thanks for the help ladp.
    P.s. Its a 27 Mhz if that helps

Yes i think the 27mhz receiver has a long antenna which should be coming out about a foot was their a peace of tubing about a foot long by say 3mm with the boat thats what the antenna should be going up through its really to save the wire and keep it straight use some fairy liquid to get the wire up through the tubing as sometimes it can be tight as not to brake it the length of that wire is very important to the range you get would say thats why your only getting 100 meters the antenna is balled up

If its a 27mhz receiver with the antenna wire coiled up i a ball, thats your problem alight.

It needs to be outside in a more or less straight line.

Advertisement