Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aluminium radiators

Options
  • 27-01-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi i was just wondering has anyone installed aluminium radiators and are they worth the investment. They only use a third of the water that steel radiators use. Any info appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

rj2010 wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering has anyone installed aluminium radiators and are they worth the investment. They only use a third of the water that steel radiators use. Any info appreciated.
    Thanks
    I fitted 7 of them last year. Ferroli brand. Nothing special about them to be honest and the brackets that came with them were ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Plus one on the brackets.As for the rads they are supposedly high efficiency i cant say i noticed any great difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

And I think you have to be alot more careful with inhibitor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They only use a third of the water that steel radiators use. Any info appreciated.
    Thanks
    They won't reduce your heating bills.

All it means is that the pump might not need to run as fast if you use the same size radiators.

It means you might get away with smaller rads (but with no savings on the pump).

But you need to check if you are comparing apples and oranges. Is the 1/3rd figure for normal radiators with fins ?

Or is it a marketing droid figure for the old style radiators which aren't used any more and thus bordering on the sharp/fraudulent

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rj2010

Using the water content on both radiators brochures on calculation per watt output aluminium uses 2.5 times less water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Using the water content on both radiators brochures on calculation per watt output aluminium uses 2.5 times less water
    They do indeed heat up much quicker than a traditional steel radiator. That also has a downside. They lose their heat much quicker too.
    No issue with inhibitor but you must be careful with acidic based Powerflush chemicals. The other benefit from them is you will have very little sludge within the heating system once they have been installed in a clean system in the first place.

If im using a buffer tank and my rads need a lot less water to heat in turn would i not be saving fuel.

My heating will be going through a buffer tank so in theory if i have to heat less water less fuel to heat it would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Nope, what matters is the amount of energy transferred out of the radiators, not the amount of water.

They are not any more efficient than steel radiators. A 2000KW radiator is a 2000KW radiator, no matter what it is made of. However, the aluminium radiators do heat up much faster. On the other hand, they cool down again extremely quickly when you turn the heat off.

I got 6 Passoti radiators last year. I chose them because they were the least expensive and nearly the best-looking (in my opinion) tall radiator I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Nope, what matters is the amount of energy transferred out of the radiators, not the amount of water.

They are not any more efficient than steel radiators. A 2000KW radiator is a 2000KW radiator, no matter what it is made of. However, the aluminium radiators do heat up much faster. On the other hand, they cool down again extremely quickly when you turn the heat off.

I got 6 Passotti radiators last year. I chose them because they were the least expensive and nearly the best-looking (in my opinion) tall radiator I could find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Is this a complete no no, got small bathroom rad replaced few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

I have worked with a lot of aluminium rads,you need to do a heat cal in each room,size the rad for what temperature you are putting through it
    We normally use these for low temp about 45 degrees

Advertisement