Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lowering the Voting Age to 16

• 27-01-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

So a vote was held this weekend on lowering the voting age, as part of the Constitutional Convention that'll be putting ideas forward to the government for consideration.

100 delegates met, and 52 voted in favour of lowering the voting age. 48 voted in favour of lowering it to 16.

Article here.

(Article's a little confusing, as it says in the first few paragraphs that they voted in favour of reducing the age to 16, then says further down "On the proposal to reduce the voting age for other types of elections such as locals, 68 people said they would be against this idea", so I'm not sure if this idea is specific to presidential elections or not.)

What do ye make of this?

I know there are a few people here who aren't eligible to vote yet, do you think you should be allowed to vote? Is this generation more politically aware than before?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about it. I remember how idealistic I was at 16, uncompromising in my views to a fault. I was perfectly willing to believe the latest soundbyte promise during elections. So I'm not sure if I would have been ready to vote at that age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So a vote was held this weekend on lowering the voting age, as part of the Constitutional Convention that'll be putting ideas forward to the government for consideration.

100 delegates met, and 52 voted in favour of lowering the voting age. 48 voted in favour of lowering it to 16.

Article here.

(Article's a little confusing, as it says in the first few paragraphs that they voted in favour of reducing the age to 16, then says further down "On the proposal to reduce the voting age for other types of elections such as locals, 68 people said they would be against this idea", so I'm not sure if this idea is specific to presidential elections or not.)

What do ye make of this?

I know there are a few people here who aren't eligible to vote yet, do you think you should be allowed to vote? Is this generation more politically aware than before?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about it. I remember how idealistic I was at 16, uncompromising in my views to a fault. I was perfectly willing to believe the latest soundbyte promise during elections. So I'm not sure if I would have been ready to vote at that age.

I don't think It will have any more major implications.I'd say most won't vote anyway . I think its only 25 percent of 18-24 year olds vote in Ireland anyway!If it is brought in it would nice to see our generation take more of an interest but I'm not sure how that would be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I think it's just generally unnecessary, few will vote anyway I'd imagine.

It's just, looking back to when I was 16, I would not trust 16 year old me to vote in slightest, he had feck all idea what was going on in the country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

I'm in favour of it personally (Being a sixteen year old with a massive interest in politics, it's to be expected.) The usual arguments:I pay my taxes and can die for my country but can't vote?

The argument that young people aren't aware of what's happening in the country just doesn't stand up in my opinion. I know plenty of adults who aren't the slightest bit interested in elections or referenda, yet they are entitled to vote. Point being, the right to vote isn't based on knowledge so it's illogical to say that because a lot of young people don't have an interest in politics, (which could be because they can't vote paradoxically) they shouldn't have the right to vote. Now the ability to understand the issues and make an informed would be a reasonable argument.
    I think it's just generally unnecessary, few will vote anyway I'd imagine.

Seriously, "generally uneccesary"? Whether or not young people do or do not turnout to vote is irrelevant in my opinion. For example if it was agreed I am capable to vote and should be able to, but am blocked because other people my age don't, is ridiculous. In the most recent referendum, two thirds of the electorate didn't bother to even go to the polling station. Perhaps we should take the vote away from peope who don't use it, ahh shur, they don't use it anyway.

Fair point, I suppose they could consult with the Psychological Society of Ireland or that to get their opinion on it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

This is unwise. Very unwise. If anything, it should be raised to 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

newmug wrote: »
    This is unwise. Very unwise. If anything, it should be raised to 21.

why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

"No votes for shluts or gobshites" would be my campaign slogan if I went for election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Palytoxin wrote: »
    "No votes for shluts or gobshites" would be my campaign slogan if I went for election

Good thing you're not going for election so, because I would support this 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Good thing you're not going for election so, because I would support this 100%.
    We should gauge the public reaction to these views, then if the water's warm, dip a toe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The argument that young people aren't aware of what's happening in the country just doesn't stand up in my opinion. I know plenty of adults who aren't the slightest bit interested in elections or referenda, yet they are entitled to vote. Point being, the right to vote isn't based on knowledge so it's illogical to say that because a lot of young people don't have an interest in politics, (which could be because they can't vote paradoxically) they shouldn't have the right to vote. Now the ability to understand the issues and make an informed would be a reasonable argument.

Seriously, "generally uneccesary"? Whether or not young people do or do not turnout to vote is irrelevant in my opinion. For example if it was agreed I am capable to vote and should be able to, but am blocked because other people my age don't, is ridiculous. In the most recent referendum, two thirds of the electorate didn't bother to even go to the polling station. Perhaps we should take the vote away from peope who don't use it, ahh shur, they don't use it anyway.

I'd have to agree with both of these points. I know for a fact that when I was 16, I was more informed on the Lisbon referendum then my neighbours, who proudly proclaimed "Yerra, we didn't understand it so we just voted No.".
    Palytoxin wrote: »

:pac:

You've got my vote... oh wait... I wouldn't be able to vote under these rules... :(

I think the only argument that will matter in the end is that of maturity. While I'm sure there are a lot of 16y/o's out there who are more than capable of making informed, rational decisions, I have to say I'd be worried about extremists exploiting the 16y/o demographic because of their relative lack of life experience*.

*Sorry, couldn't find a better way to word that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

They'll be lettin' women vote next hoh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement