Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMP

Options
  • 27-01-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody on here has completed the Project Management Professional exams (PMP)? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

I have, what do you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Will 2013

Hi,
    I just want to know how much work is involved, is it really tough? I have held a PM role for over 5yrs and completed degree in const mgt. I flicked through the website and bought the book which I have started to read...

I found that some companies offer exam prep training for the PM exams, have you attended any of these and have you any feedback of who runs good revision courses in Dublin..

Any suggestions on how to go about the whole process and keep the full time job without either or suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

Hi Will, was in the same boat as yourself. Did the advanced project management course in DBS http://www.dbs.ie/advanced-project-management/evening-diploma this was the shortest course I could find. To satisfy the PMI criteria you need to attend an approved course in project management so this course was necessary. Work wise you are looking at atteding one night per week and maybe two to three hours revision per week. The course in DBS has an exam where they award you a DBS certified qualification only. You then need to do the PMI exam. You organise this yourself . This is a multiple choice exam and was tough enough. I reckon you need to set aside at least 20 hours study per component as per the PMBOK (project management body of knowledge) or at total of 100 hours study. It is a multiple choice exam and the questions are desiged to really test your knowledge. Overall it take a bit of commitment but its very doable while working full time. There is a book by Rita Mulchay that is worth getting to guide you through the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Will 2013

Cheers thanks, what sort of money did it end up costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I just passed the PMP exam in December.

I live in Dublin. For training providers I got it down to three companies.

Dublin Business School, Institute of Project Management Ireland and Professional Development.

Professional Development were the cheapest at about 700 for 5 days
    Institute of Project Management were about 1200 for a 4 day course
    DBS were around the same but for evening courses over 6/8 weeks.

I went with The Institute of Project Management. Excellent trainers and city centre based, which suited me.

I was going to go for Professional Development but it meant driving out to Blanchardstown and taking an extra day off work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement