Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin cadence Sensor question

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Just fitted the Garmin GSC 10 cadence sensor there few days ago. Just a quick question about it. I have only used it on the turbo trainer so far on "indoor mode" with my 305, and it allows me to gauge speed as well as cadence. So when I bring it outdoors in "outdoor mode", is it going to be gauging my speed based on the cadence sensor or based on my 305's GPS system. I would imagine the GPS is more accurate for speed so was just wondering if I am loosing out on speed accuracy with the cadence sensor installed????

Thanks
    Subscriber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

If you have set up your wheel size the sensor is going to be more accurate than GPS.

Not sure about how Gamrin prioritises the information but if Polar detects a speed sensor it will always use the sensor for speed / distance and the GPS for mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

If you have set up your wheel size the sensor is going to be more accurate than GPS.

Not sure about how Gamrin prioritises the information but if Polar detects a speed sensor it will always use the sensor for speed / distance and the GPS for mapping.

Thanks AKW, if my wheel takes a 700 x 23 tyre, will I program my 305 as 700 x 23 or will it be slightly larger than that, as in the actual rim size? I know it's programmed in mm to be accurate so a 700 x 23 will be 2097mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

It will pick up speed and distance from the sensor above the gps. Simple fix, take the magnet off your wheel when riding outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

subscriber wrote: »
    Thanks AKW, if my wheel takes a 700 x 23 tyre, will I program my 305 as 700 x 23 or will it be slightly larger than that, as in the actual rim size? I know it's programmed in mm to be accurate so a 700 x 23 will be 2097mm.

No its the tyre size that's important.

There is website somewhere that gives you the accurate circumference of the wheel based on the tyre. 2097 -2100mm sounds right for most.

I would argue against taking the magnet out (apart from losing the thing) the GPS can be 10% out and you won't get more accurate than a wheel based measurement. You don't use trust a GPS to measure how far you are driving or how fast you are going in a car (?)

Found calc: http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

How does one set this cadence sensor correctly that it is accurately measuring distance? I went for a cycle yesterday and my Garmin read 50.0 km. my bike odometer read 50.3km and strava on my smartphone said 50.4. I just took the average of 3 to get my total distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement