Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Up Cricket

Options
  • 27-01-2013 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. As the title says, I'm considering taking up cricket. I started watching the game about a year ago, but I've been getting seriously into it over the past few months. I've picked up various books, etc, so I''m becoming familiar enough with the rules. My local club is Laois, and from what I hear they're open to new members. They're also setting up a 4th team for the upcoming season, so I presume they'd be glad of a total newbie like myself. I'm just wondering what the novice experience is like. Obviously no two people are the same, but generally speaking, is there a steep learning curve? How competitive can it be at that level? And finally, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but is there a 'class' issue within the sport?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Hi. As the title says, I'm considering taking up cricket. I started watching the game about a year ago, but I've been getting seriously into it over the past few months. I've picked up various books, etc, so I''m becoming familiar enough with the rules. My local club is Laois, and from what I hear they're open to new members. They're also setting up a 4th team for the upcoming season, so I presume they'd be glad of a total newbie like myself. I'm just wondering what the novice experience is like. Obviously no two people are the same, but generally speaking, is there a steep learning curve? How competitive can it be at that level? And finally, and I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but is there a 'class' issue within the sport?

Nope, there's no class issue, cricket in Ireland will welcome anyone who's interested in playing.

Laois would be an ideal club to join, as they will be able to guide you through learning playing (not difficult, but some bits are counter-intuitive, especially if you've played other ball-bat sports).

Give them a buzz or drop them an email, they'd be delighted to hear from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How quickly youll take to it depends really on what other sports you have experience of. If you have experience of some other bat on ball type sports (hurling, hockey etc, even golf) then you should take to batting pretty quickly. I dont think anything will ever prepare you for the bowling action! Some people just take to bowling while others dont.

The best thing to do would be to head on down to nets and jump in with both feet. Clubs will generally be very accomoating of newcomers; someone will take you aside and show you the basics, and when in the nets no one will be looking to bowl full pelt at you. The important thing from the start is to just enjoy yourself and get a feel for getting the bat on the ball; after that everything else will come with coaching and practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Thanks for the replies. Very encouraging. I have no experience with any type of bat sport. In fact, I don't have much sporting experience at all. The last time I played sport it was as a school boy, 12 years ago. And even then it was compulsory! In truth, diet and exercise were non-existent to me for almost a decade, and I was badly out of shape, so team sports were out of the question. But I'm in decent shape now, with a good fitness level, so I'll be well able for the physical aspect. I guess I just have to throw myself in there and see if the sport suits me, or if I suit the sport. I'm looking forward to meeting some new faces, and having a laugh, but ultimately, I want to compete and succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I hope you enjoy it, Laois 4 are new enough formed and are playing in division 13, which seems to be where most of us on here play. There are plenty of beginners coming into the lower league sides in the last couple of years as teams struggle to find players every week. It won't be easy at first but work hard and you'll be able to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

I've always found Laois to be a great bunch of lads at whatever level I've faced them so you've nothing to worry about there. I'll go a bit against the grain here and say while there is no class issue that will stop you from playing, and especially not in Laois, you'll run into teams and clubs that are a bit, shall we say, old school in their attitude. There are a few sterotypical jolly old boys knocking about at various clubs but you'll be warmly welcomed by most.

Like the Drog said don't expect to get anywhere without hard work. You won't be scoring 100's and taking 5fors in your first couple of games. Work hard, ask for advice and enjoy it. It'll all be very rewarding! Best of luck with it OP

• Advertisement

I asked about there being a class issue because I'm currently studying in Trinity. And while the majority of the students are fine, there is certainly that 'jolly old boys' element. And as a 28 year-old working-class culchie, I know what it's like to be on the wrong end of an upturned nose. I've dealt with it quite a bit as a student, and I just take it for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't want to experience it in any other context.

Anyway, there's no such problems with Laois Cricket Club. I've just spoken to Roland and he couldn't have been more welcoming. Indoor training is on Sundays in Vicarstown, about 20 minutes from my front door. Everything is in place for a stunning international career. :p

Thanks everyone for helping me take my first few steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I asked about there being a class issue because I'm currently studying in Trinity. And while the majority of the students are fine, there is certainly that 'jolly old boys' element. And as a 28 year-old working-class culchie, I know what it's like to be on the wrong end of an upturned nose. I've dealt with it quite a bit as a student, and I just take it for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't want to experience it in any other context.

Anyway, there's no such problems with Laois Cricket Club. I've just spoken to Roland and he couldn't have been more welcoming. Indoor training is on Sundays in Vicarstown, about 20 minutes from my front door. Everything is in place for a stunning international career. :p

Thanks everyone for helping me take my first few steps.

If you are studying at Trinity then they hold indoor trainings on Friday nights, Trent Johnston coaches them and they would be able to give you a bit of extra coaching

TheDrog wrote: »
    If you are studying at Trinity then they hold indoor trainings on Friday nights, Trent Johnston coaches them and they would be able to give you a bit of extra coaching

It's a great idea, but I'm rarely around in the evenings, especially on Friday. I commute up and down each day. A typical mature student hardship story. But it's certainly an option that I'll take note of. In my ignorance I didn't even know Laois had a cricket club, so DU was the first one that came to mind. But it would be too impractical. A local club is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

I know exactly what you mean and there would be a couple of clubs (who I won't name) with that kind of attitude from quite a few of their members past and present. I once had a member of a club ask the barman to not serve me a pint while I was attending our 1st XI playing away from home. His reasoning was that I clearly wasn't there affiliated with any club as 'no one from where you're from plays cricket'. I think he took exception to my basic inner city accent. Such is life!

You'll have no such bother with Laois, though, so all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

crackit wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean and there would be a couple of clubs (who I won't name) with that kind of attitude from quite a few of their members past and present. I once had a member of a club ask the barman to not serve me a pint while I was attending our 1st XI playing away from home. His reasoning was that I clearly wasn't there affiliated with any club as 'no one from where you're from plays cricket'. I think he took exception to my basic inner city accent. Such is life!

You'll have no such bother with Laois, though, so all the best with it.

You meet pricks like that in all walks of life. Thankfully you wont come across them too often when playing cricket (from my experience anyway); the overwhelming majority are just there for a good time and dont care who you are or where you come from. Usually those with an attitude arent as good as they think they are, and you can take great pleasure from knocking over their middle stump or spanking them out of the ground and watching them grumble under their breath :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement