Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

place to stay for 1 week in Chamonix

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi,
    I'm flying to Geneva and hoping to go skiing in Chamonix with 5 other adults and one baby. Staying from 26 March-2April. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for accommodation in Chamonix near the slopes and some nice restaurants and nightlife. We are hoping it won't be very expensive. Any other hints and tips on Chamonix are appreciated.

look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

I don't have any recommendations on accommodation in Chamonix, because the place I stayed in was a hostel. You wouldn't want that with a child in the group.

When you do find accommodation in Chamonix, my personal advice would be to make sure it is near one of the bigger ski areas. It will be more expensive, but worth it.

When I was there I had to get a 40 minute bus journey to the main ski lifts.
    By the time I got there each day there was already a massive Q to get into the Gondola (waiting on average 30 mins). The Q's were crazy busy between 8:30 and 10:30.

I found Chamonix in general a very very busy place, so the earlier you can get out of bed the better to avoid big delays.

The skiing/snowboarding there was awesome though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JoanneC76

Thanks Derv,

what were the main ski areas? Did you stay in the main town? Do you think it would be better to stay in one of the nearby areas....someone suggested Argentiere to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

if you look at this map , you can see the big areas marked out

http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/Chamonix_pistemap_full.jpg

all are linked together with buses that to laps of the outer town area, like most resorts.

one of the bigger ones is 'Les Grands Montets'
    that is the one where i had the long Q's for the Gondola.
    i have spoken to people who have been there on several occasions, and they have reported the same long Q's also.

i stayed very close to the town centre (2-3 minute walk).
    my bus to 'Les Grands Montets' was 30-40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Chamonix is a very nice town to stay in, good place to potter around Argentiere has the best skiing (Grand Montets) but prob less to keep you interested there once you're off the slopes. In my experience bus to Argentiere from Chamonix is only about 15 mins.

You can prob stay in Argentiere for cheaper also, but the skiing there is more directed towards intermediates and experts. Le Tour is where you would want to ski if you're beginners, very little accomodation there I think. Les Houches would prob be one of the cheapest places to stay, there is decent skiing there but it is inconvenient for the other skiing areas.

Chamonix is expensive, no way around it. But like most resorts you can do it cheaply. You prob don't need the Mont Blanc unlimited pass for instance, as it accesses a lift in Grand Montets that always has long queues, and another lift (Aiguille du Midi) you won't be going up without a guide. As with any resort you can find more reasonably priced food if you look for it.

Best restaurant I ate in in Cham was Munchies, Atmosphere good but expensive, Daniel Peru (or something like that) better value, decent chinese restaurant nearby, there's a Canadian microbrewery and burger joint which is good for carb loading, value and general atmosphere. There's also a nice restaurant outside the town called the Cabane or something, again expensive. There's some double Michelin starred place I haven't eaten in yet but am planning on when I'm over this year (roughly same dates as you :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

JoanneC76: Chamonix is Expensive there is no way around that, some places are better than others but from the lift pass down it is at the high price point. Its always busy and the lifts aint great. But some of the terrain in the place is epic. It is a proper town with plenty to do at night. Getting from Geneva to Cham try Mountain Drop offs they are really good. Better than Cham Express! It is a magical place and the mountains are amazing.

Accommodation, In Chamonix town Hotel De L’arve (Right beside the Brevant lift and beginners area, and the Hermitage Piccard, On the road to Le Tour and Argentirere and right beside a bus/Train stop are good value.

In Argentiere has plenty of cheap apartments etc but can be very quiet at night and is limited for dining out etc. However it is close to Le Tour and right at the bottom of the Grandes Montes ski lift.

Les Houches has good value but is a long way from most of the other areas.

Eating out, Le Cave on the main street opposite the Columbia shop is really good value and great food. Buried away in a corner but once you have found it. MBC Micro Brewery has cheap burgers and Beer most nights with live music and a good atmosphere.

Night Life Chambre Neuf in Chamonix town is the main spot. Each area has a few bars that are busier than others at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement