Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my windows 8 wasted

Options
  • 27-01-2013 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I have a dell laptop, the hard drive packed up in november last year so i bought a new hitachi 5400 rpm hard drive and downloaded the windows 8 offer from microsoft and loaded and activated it (windows 8 pro with media centre).
    Didnt like windows 8 at all, also the new hard drive was eating up power from my battery at an alarming rate. so then bought a ssd and used the dell recovery disc to load windows 7 onto that. laptop excellent now so wont be changing anything there at all.
    I have the hard drive in storage now with 8 on it that has been validated to the dell laptop, i have a windows 8 disc burned, will i ever be able to use the product key i got from microsoft to validate the windows 8 disc on the dell laptop to maybe validate windows 8 on one of my desktops if i were to load windows 8 on one of those desktops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You upgraded your license of Windows 7 to a license of Windows 8. While you can probably jump back and forth between 7 and 8, you cannot operate them concurrently. In fact technically you aren't even supposed to have them in dual boot, much less 2 PCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would the upgrade de-license the old OS? You get a different key don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

jonnygee wrote: »
    I have a dell laptop, the hard drive packed up in november last year so i bought a new hitachi 5400 rpm hard drive and downloaded the windows 8 offer from microsoft and loaded and activated it (windows 8 pro with media centre).
    Didnt like windows 8 at all, also the new hard drive was eating up power from my battery at an alarming rate. so then bought a ssd and used the dell recovery disc to load windows 7 onto that. laptop excellent now so wont be changing anything there at all.
    I have the hard drive in storage now with 8 on it that has been validated to the dell laptop, i have a windows 8 disc burned, will i ever be able to use the product key i got from microsoft to validate the windows 8 disc on the dell laptop to maybe validate windows 8 on one of my desktops if i were to load windows 8 on one of those desktops.

From the Windows 8 EULA (find it here)
    What about upgrading the software? The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded.

If the Dell laptop has an OEM licence then it can only be used on that laptop. Afaik, you lost any right to use to use Windows 7 when you upgraded to Windows 8, so you should only be using Windows 8 on that laptop.

If you want to use Windows 8 on your desktop, you'd have to buy it a separate upgrade license.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

That,s fine. After trying it out I dont intend to use windows 8 in it,s current form at all, maybe sometime in the future, it was just something i was thinking about.
    I reloaded the original dell windows 7 disc that came with the computer onto the ssd and it self validated. That,s how it will stay for now anyway.

Advertisement