Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAME back on iOS (for now!)

Options

Comments

Nice one. Missed it the first time round. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Woohoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

You can shove your Apple iPod up your arse
    You can shove your Apple iPhone up your arse
    You can shove your Apple iPad
    Shove your Apple iPad
    Shove your Apple iPad up your <Banned>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And now to wait for my Ipad to update!
    I actually got it the last time, then the better half deleted it, along with a bunch of other games related stuff, from the Ipad, and that was after she got me the Icade!
    Of course, I hadn't synced the thing to itunes so it was gone for good, due to it being pulled from itunes the previous day!
    So, I jailbroke the ipad and off we went again.
    This time, I can update the thing, and have a legit Mame install, so I can play a load of non-legit game files!
    Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

is there a way to convert older roms into the 0.139 ones? have a rake of games but it says they're missing chd or rom files even though they work fine on mame4droid on my tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes. there are programs specifically for this purpose, Clrmamepro and Romcenter

I would say, make a backup of your "files" before using the software as they are designed to rewrite them as it goes, changing one version to another.

So, you need to know what version of Mame you have and use that as the reference for the rebuild.

I did this for the romset on my Ikeacab and it worked well, samples can be biggie on early Mame builds, later ones use the rom info to generate audio, earlier ones fudged it and use a set of samples, it took a while to get the likes of Donkey Kong working right due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Nice find OP

One of the issues with this is the new Mame version isn't all that happy with romsets.
    The last Mame on Ios was a version of the same old Mame that has done the rounds of Android phones, the GP32 and the like, the same romset works with all and so was readily available.
    Also, due to the age of the version the romset was a reasonable download and didn't take up too much room on your device.
    The new one is far more recent and the romset is massive.
    Better, I think, to select the titles you want on the Ipad and use romcenter to correct the dodgy files, although this is time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Does anyone have a recommendation for a SNES emulator for iOS?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One of the issues with this is the new Mame version isn't all that happy with romsets.

Also the on screen controls are less than perfect. It would be fine to use with an external controller or an iCade/ipad or whatever, but i gave up on playing it using the on screen controls on my iphone. My fat thumbs were taking up half the screen and i couldn't see the R-Type 2 action going on underneath.

Reminded me of this:

• Advertisement

I have an icade, buttons and stick are way too heavy, noisy clunky things too.
    If you get one I might suggest hacking it to use proper arcade controls, otherwise it's a bit pants.
    Plus, to avoid getting sued by Apple, the icade doesn't charge the Ipad.

I can imagine at some future date some genius might figure how to boot straight to Mame from the get go and the Ipad could form the heart of a mini cab.
    A genius indeed.
    The rest of us thickos will use a easily hacked Android tablet instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well its easy enough to swap out the buttons on the iCade and the stick can be done as well but takes a few mins more to do the job.
    As for loading right into MAME on boot with the iPad. If its jailbroken that's easy as peas :)

I've a load of pics over on the mods section of Retrovia of the iCade taken apart and close ups of all the buttons and connectors. It shows how easy it is to do the job on it.

http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/6177-What-s-inside-an-Ion-iCade

32631424.jpg

Advertisement