Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin Problems

Options
  • 26-01-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Story is I was always an outdoors worker. In fact I was a welder.

Due to redundancy I have take a supermarket job to keep busy till better times arrive.

The switch from outdoor to indoor has strangely put 5 or 6 years on my face. My skin is always dry and tight now and red lines are becoming very obvious on my fore head.
    I know I may be just getting older, but this is all happening within 4 months.

I always had great skin before this, now its also getting dirty . Blackheads and the like.

I never had to deal with this before even in the worst winters days outdoors.

What would others recommend to stop or slow this from happening. Im 36 years old Any brand that would suit this problem??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

E45 cream is brilliant. As is Silcoks base, you can use that to wash in the shower. Vasaline on your face before you go to bed is brilliant, I had very bad dry skin and Vaseline has cleared it up brilliantly, and I tried all sorts of very expensive creams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Facepack for blackheads.

It will say this on the sachet, in Dunnes or Tesco, near the manly stuff, usually hanging.

After Facepack rinse with warm water, then splash with cold to close pores.

Apply E45 cream after.

E45 cream is the best for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Clean and Clear daily blackhead scrub is a miracle worker. Use it every morning and then use the everyday wipes if your skin feels a bit oily. I work in a supermarket to and get terrible dry skin and breakouts of spots. It's because of the air con. Are you working near one of the fans beacause that will cause your skin to dry out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't say I've had problems with blackheads but spots I know all about.

Don't get them half as frequently from using the below products.

Fwiw I'm not a Nivea rep, I just find their products to be very good for my skin, the moisturizer is around €6.50 but is often on offer in Tesco and is well worth it because you don't need that much and as a result the tub lasts for a good while.

Nivea Deep cleaning facewash
    Nivea intensive moisturizer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I've found like billion dollar baby, that working in air conditioned buildings dries out my skin.
    Using a moisturiser and drinking plenty of fluids should help the situation. I find the Aveeno range to be quite good.

Skin conditions can also start/be made worse by stress.
    I'm not implying anything, I just noticed your recent career change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Your skin sounds dehydrated so I would advise against the likes of facewipes or products for very oily skin, as your skin will be left more dehydrated.

Start with a cleanse both morning and night using a cleanser suitable for your skin type (not condition), and using an exfoliator on the more oily areas (where you see the blackheads) once or twice a week. A facemask can help, use once a week and a facemask with kaolin in it will be best for where the blackheads are.

Use a moisturiser that has a humectant (glycerine), and make sure you moisturiser at least twice a day.

Drinking less
    - Alcohol
    - caffeine
    - sugary drinks

Will help with dehydration and drinking AT LEAST two litres of water cause I think only 2% of the recommended daily amount of water actually reaches your skin. If you exercise a lot or drink a lot of the above then you need to drink even more than the two litres.

Products I recommend?
    Soap and Glory scrub your nose in it (you can use this as a scrub twice a week and as a mask, just leave it on longer)
    Dermalogica daily microfoliant (expensive but worth it)
    Dermalogica Skin smoothing cream
    La Roche Posay is also good for cheaper products. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Strange. Had an outdoor job today which required hard grafting out in that rain and wind. Was sweating hard.

Face feels great now.

Im convinced its the A/C at work that is drying me up. Thanks for all your tips. I may have to start looking after myself a bit better in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you don't already you could try just washing your face daily a lot of people forget it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Indeed it is the aircon. I have experience in this issue.

For dry skin try 'Emulsifying Ointment BP' its in a generic white 100g/500g tub, in most pharmacies. Pinewood laboratories.

Not just the face, allover torso and arms, seriously, A LOT, everywhere, the more the better.

Maybe Im wrong with this but you should probably watch your piss.

If its nice and clear - thats fine my dear.
    If its dark shade of yella - that dehydration there fella (drink some water).

...or some piss like BG.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Avasa

Ultrabland from Lush works wonders on all skin types. Its really an all round type of thing. Great on stings and burns as well, and putting on your nose when your sick! Amazing product!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Finding the e45 very good.

Then I went to the pool for a swim. Now my face is peeling. I dont know whats going on.

I have been swimming for years without chlorine problems.

I wonder if nightshift and a complete lack of daylight is making it happen.

I might get the doctor to have a look at this stage.

Advertisement