Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance online work - how will it affect JSA

Options
  • 26-01-2013 6:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

I've been asked to blog for a company on an irregular basis. Some weeks I could get €20 for 2 hours work, while other weeks I could get €100-€200. Its not a regular wage or anything.

I'm currently on JSA the past few months so I've no idea what to do. I've to send the company an invoice every time I get paid into my PayPal account by them.

I don't know what options are available to me with regards to signing off one day a week. Since its not a guaranteed wage, I don't want to end up losing any payments, and I also font want to get into trouble for not declaring it either.

Any suggestions on how to go about things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I don't think you would have to sign off as I'm sure that writing a blog wouldn't hinder your being able to take up a full time job. You must declare the earnings though as they will affect the means test. You are self employed and they will try to establish how much money you earned last year and from that project how much you might earn next year. I think you should call in to your local SW office and explain the situation.

If writing a blog has the potential to be a longterm income earning possibility you might consider applying for the Back to Work Entreprise Allowance which would give you a payment while you grow your business. You can find the details on www.citizensinformation.ie or www.welfare.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

Ok, it's been suggested to me that I should just go up to the welfare office and say that I'm going to be getting work one day a week.

How do I go about telling them that I don't know how much I'll be getting on that day when I will be writing online?

Also, if I early €150 in the one day from writing, how does that figure affect my JSA?

Obviously, if I sign off for 1 day per week and I don't make any money that day then I lose out, but I'm prepared to take that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

You can't sign casually while self employed. You can apply to be assessed based on self employment. They will decide what means to deduct from your weekly rate and the you won't need to sign off any days you work. You can provide your Pay Pal statement to show your recent warnings which will help make a decision on the means. If you we're earning €150 a day PAYE you would be loosing €78 per day worked.

Advertisement