Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius on LPG V Nissan Leaf on wind, solar

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:37pm

More Mad_Lad Madness.

Interesting facts.

Nissan Leaf based on 75 miles per charged at around 100 kph heat on ? or 90 miles heat off, so we'll go by 75 miles. or the average of 3.5 miles per kw/hr

I calculated to do my 750 kms per week would cost 15 Euro's in leccy, based on 9.76 per KW/hr Bord Gais night rate. or 2 Euro's per charge now that leccy has gone up (AGAIN) (don't forget you can get 15€ off leccy bill with tesco vouchers)

I need a real 25 Kw/Hrs to do 84 miles, though the newer model leaf in the spring will have a much more efficient heater.

Currently to charge the Leaf costs around 1.80 Euro's I got the 15 for my driving needs. The 15 being weekly costs.

so 9.75x 25 =14.95 Euro's a week compared to 62 Euro's in the Prius at currently 58 mpg in those blasted F rated winter tyres!

The MPG equivalent = 194 MPG or 1.44L/100 kms

Now converting the Prius would cost 33 Euro's a week on LPG @84 C /l or €28.50 @75 C/l LPG summer cost.

What's the point ?

The point is Prius on LPG is still twice as expensive as Nissan Leaf to drive on leccy

But twice isn't bad.

The difference being the Leaf would have a lot more punch than the prius and it's silent compared to the noisy acceleration in the Prius.

Electricity cost per year €750 + house electricity (600) =€1350

Current cost 3,250 for petrol + house leccy = 3850 Euro's + 750 or so a year on oil or total energy currently costs €4600 not even counting my G/F's 20 a week to get to work and back in the CRV.

So if you were thinking of installing a renewable system would you take into account the cost of what it currently costs you driving on petrol or diesel or what it would cost on the cheaper electricity ?

Say if wind or solar 5kw system cost 15,000 and it costs us 3850 per year x 4 years would cost €15,400. or if the heat could be changed to leccy 3 years

So would you say the pay back is in 4 years based on petrol or diesel or 11 years based on what it would cost to drive on electricity night tariff ?

People really should add up the cost of petrol and diesel over the year then add up the savings on driving on electric.

I see no reason a 5-6 kw wind installation couldn't even run heating ? as the less you send to the grid the better ?

maybe a 10kw wind turbine ? COnsidering the cost of fossil fuels I see no reason people that live in locations that allow for wind installations can't pay back in a very short time ? even solar .

I know there are good days and bad days with renewable but it has serious potential, I think anyway.

What ye think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have you driven the Leaf, does it really feel faster than the Prius? I dont just mean an initial push back in the seat, I mean in a proper overtaking at speed scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

We really, really, really need an EV forum! :P

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Have you driven the Leaf, does it really feel faster than the Prius? I dont just mean an initial push back in the seat, I mean in a proper overtaking at speed scenario.

Hi matt, I have driven it but not so that I got a chance to over take, it has 109 hp so I couldn't see why you couldn't. But it's not something you probably would be doing much of in a leaf, not on a long trip anyway.

It's limited to about 84 mph, I'm not sure if that's electronically or due to gearing.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    We really, really, really need an EV forum! :P

Forum or e.v section on Boards ?

Well my dreams are dwindling of getting a leaf because I got turned down for the permanent job because seemingly they cant hire the contractors staff ? and the boss man said an ev charger won't go in until more people have an e.v but most people wouldn't need to plug in because they live much closer than I do. And he seems to think everyone could use the charger, he doesn't understand that you need several. Anyway no point worrying now about that.

Seriously working for a recruitment agency in a company without any hope of full time employment is seriously depressing while they take a chunk of my wages, there should be a law against these agencies being allowed to screw people !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hi matt, I have driven it but not so that I got a chance to over take, it has 109 hp so I couldn't see why you couldn't. But it's not something you probably would be doing much of in a leaf, not on a long trip anyway.

It's limited to about 84 mph, I'm not sure if that's electronically or due to gearing.

That kinda sounds at odds with what you said above though, thats why Im asking!
    The difference being the Leaf would have a lot more punch than the prius and it's silent compared to the noisy acceleration in the Prius.

• Advertisement
Advertisement