Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 crashing advice.

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭

I have windows 8 installed on my Dell (originally) Windows 7 laptop. I installed it the first weekend Windows 8 was released and in hindsight that was a mistake.

Every time the screensaver, sleep mode comes on, the computer crashes when I press the keyboard to wake it up.

Also the touchpad is not working properly anymore.

Otherwise things are ok.

What would be the best thing to do? Restore windows 7? Reinstall windows 8? Or something else?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is an option to 'refresh' windows 8 in the settings. I haven't used it but it might help you if your out of other ideas. It leaves your personal files intact. Its on the general tab of the pc settings.

As for the touchpad, its probably just a driver issue that you could sort from the dell site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think the refresh is like a repair of system files.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

So I ran diagnostics and got this message
    Solve a problem with ATI Catalyst Control Center
    Your version of ATI Catalyst Control Center isn't compatible with this version of Windows.

To solve this problem, go online to your PC manufacturer's website and search for ATI Catalyst Control Center updates.

How do I find my PC manufacturer?

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen and then click Search.)
    Enter msinfo32 in the search box, and then press Enter. Your PC manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.
    Go to www.microsoft.com and search for "computer manufacturers"Tap or click to go online to see contact info for most PC manufacturers
    What is Catalyst Control Center?

Catalyst Control Center is a set of tools provided by AMD (formerly ATI) to use with their display drivers. It gives you more control over your video adapter beyond what’s provided by Windows. In most cases you don't need this software for your PC to work.
    So now I cant find this 'set of tools' using the search function.

When I go onto the dell website, it only shows me driver updates for windows 7.

What next?

ok, so I uninstalled the catalyst control centre. Restarted. Put computer to sleep. Woke it up again.

And it crashed :(

System thread exception not handled it says. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm talking to myself here. Ran system restore and every piece of software was removed including my essential office 2007 :(

But it no longer crashes.

There is no way of getting the uninstalled software back.

Windows 8 is a freaking disaster. Do not buy! Utter crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's analogous to saying Diesel is crap because you filled your petrol car with it. In this case your Dell never had the signed drivers to run Windows 8 I'm guessing. I won't say that Windows 8 hasn't had some Sleep/Wake issues (I've seen it a lot) but that sounds particularly bad. For me I might wake and find myself lose the ability to rotate the screen or use the physical start button on my tablet (designed for 7); I don't have any problems on the Desktop, which was a self-build (well, there was an update that killed the USB Controller, but that was a five minute fix). The worst issue I've seen is on Samsung laptops, our demo units all without question seem to after waking to just default to a black "Jurassic Park" screen with a typing cursor, and stay there until power-cycled.

As for your Office 2007: Do you not have the product key? They are releasing 2013 in the next week - January 29th (or you can see this weekend as your last chance to lock in a copy of Office 2010 if you want to go the Luddite route). You could always purchase that (1 PC 1 License) or, you can buy the Office 365 which is basically Non-Commercial use of Office Professional on up to 5 PCs, for $99/yr. Either way, these newer versions of Office are all activated using a Windows live/hotmail/xbox account, so even if you nuke a PC or lose your documentation, the license is tied to your account, not the hardware (or the disc), so you can deauthorize a PC and download/reinstall it again from office.com

To get you back on your feet right now, you can try Office 2013 here: http://office.com/preview

Why on earth should I pay for a new version of office when I was perfectly happy with the old one, and it was taken off with no warning?

And this is far from analogous to putting diesel in a petrol car. Whoever is at fault, dell or Microsoft it is not mine. If the OS wasn't going to work on my machine I shouldn't have been able to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Are you sure it was "system restore" you used and not the reset or "restore your PC" option?

With the reset and restore your PC options they wipe your applications, it's also stated when you try to run these options.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there was no warning. Others have had this problem too. On phone so can't link

fits wrote: »
    Why on earth should I pay for a new version of office when I was perfectly happy with the old one, and it was taken off with no warning?
    Actually it did, you just didn't read what you were doing when you did the refresh, and you did the option to clear your files.

Also, you didn't keep your product key. That's not anyone else's fault.

/tough love

pfft... You can say it is but I am a regular computer user, and regular users are going to be peeved when stuff like this happens. When I updated from windows 7 I lost no software, and I didn't expect it with a refresh of the system (or whatever you call it)

anyway, at least my computer isn't crashing anymore. Outside of the Office issue its mostly an inconvenience having to reinstall software but I will live with it. I just wish it had been clearer that would happen

Now, whats Office 2013 like? I was just getting used to 2007.

I have it installed alongside 2010. I do not miss 2010 at all. Interface-wise the two are quite similar but 2013 performs a lot better and integrates better with Skydrive features. Check out the preview link though.

I downloaded the preview. Will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

"Refresh" is very clear that it removes any apps / programs you installed. Which makes it a lousy solution in my book, but that's not the point :)

BTW I've also been running Office 2013 and the most useful new feature for me is the sync between gmail and outlook. If you use both, you might as well start using them synched - you'll like it :)

Well on the upside, my three year old laptop is like a new machine now. so I have relented a little.

Exactly, it does great things for old hardware. My newest PC is 5 years old (C2Q6600 based) and it is as fast in day to day use as a much newer mid range PC

Advertisement