Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trainee accountant contract issues

Options
  • 26-01-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year accounting student. I attended an interview in Cork few weeks ago and was offered a training contract for 3.5 years. There is a probation period for a year within the 3.5 year and it excludes time off for holiday,sick leave,exam leave,study leave etc. Salary is €15,000. The firm pays for my exams and course.There will be an increment according to the number of exams I pass but the contract hasn't specified the minimum amount of increment. Is that normal? I have exemptions from Cap1 so will be starting with Cap2. annual leave = 20days. The contract is due to start in June. How does this sound? This is my first training contract and I don't really know much about it. Any thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Might be worth checking out the increments and clarifying if the 15k takes account of the fact that you are exempt from CAP 1. Is 15k a little low for living in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mysteries12

Alan Shore wrote: »
    Might be worth checking out the increments and clarifying if the 15k takes account of the fact that you are exempt from CAP 1. Is 15k a little low for living in Cork?

They are aware that I'm fully exempt from Cap 1 but ya I was thinking about the salary being low too. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow to ask about the increments. I said to them that 15k is quite low but they totally ignored it. Do u know if 1 year probation is too long? Wat is the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Legally you have very little protection as an employee until 1 year has passed anyway so I doubt the probation period makes much difference.

I don't know if €15k is the going rate. It sounds very tough to live on if you're not living at home. I think most contracts don't specify the increments, I know mine didn't and it was in a big firm. They like to cover themselves so that they don't commit to a high level in case the market collapses in the meantime (as it just did in fact). There is a danger that some small firms only give minimal increments. The ICAI recommends minimum increments but I don't think they're mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year accounting student. I attended an interview in Cork few weeks ago and was offered a training contract for 3.5 years. There is a probation period for a year within the 3.5 year and it excludes time off for holiday,sick leave,exam leave,study leave etc. Salary is €15,000. The firm pays for my exams and course.There will be an increment according to the number of exams I pass but the contract hasn't specified the minimum amount of increment. Is that normal? I have exemptions from Cap1 so will be starting with Cap2. annual leave = 20days. The contract is due to start in June. How does this sound? This is my first training contract and I don't really know much about it. Any thoughts!

I started in Cork nearly four years ago now on 17k, mid sized firm. Pretty much all the same as you have listed.

I know the few blow me started on less too so would guess it is fairly accurate atm.

I had tax to do from CAP 1 so did modular on CAP 2 so got an increment on passing each part and then again for FAEs and bonus for passing all exams first time.

I lived out of home the whole time, was very tough the first year or two!

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mysteries12

Thank you all for ur advice and suggestions. I think I will accept this one and will keep looking for better jobs mostly in Dublin. Will see wat happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Thank you all for ur advice and suggestions. I think I will accept this one and will keep looking for better jobs mostly in Dublin. Will see wat happens!

The starting salaries in Dublin are a little bit better but not by any big stretch. From myself and colleagues, it seems to be between 17-20k, and then increments as per chartered accountants recommendations. That is in general, there are of course some exceptions.

Advertisement