Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difference between IT and University?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello.

I'm coming from South Korea and i hope to third level study at Ireland.
    I know Ireland education system is well developed in the world.(That's why i decide to study in Ireland) But, i exactly don't understand how different between Institute of Technology and University. Could you explain how is different?

Thank you for reading and sorry for my poor Enlgish T_T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A university is for the advancement of knowledge, an institute of technology is for teaching. Though the lines are increasingly blurred these days.

Both award degrees right up to PhD level, however institutes of technology tend to have more applied courses in business, science, engineering and IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pottdry1

Thank you for your expalin! I hope to study Agricultural science in Ireland. And i got an offer from Waterford Institute of Technology. Following your explain, can i apply Master or ph.D course after my undergraduate course? My course is Level.7 course but some courses are Level.8 how different between that level? Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have a look at http://www.nqai.ie/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html for the qualification framework in use in Ireland.

Level 7 is an ordinary level degree and yes, you can continue on afterwards all the way up to Level 10 (PhD level).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pottdry1

Thank you very very much!!!
    I'm happy to study in Ireland :D:D:D

Advertisement