Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 320D

• 25-01-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Was looking at a few 2004 320D's on the various motor websites. I do 500 mostly motorway miles a week and we have another family car so I would only be using this for work. Don't want to spend much more than 5k.

What should I be looking out for or what are the drawbacks with the 320D? Looking for something to get 2-3 yrs of low cost driving from. I can put up with the high tax.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If you want low cost driving then I would have to recommend a Peugeot 406 HDI. Seriously these things are very very reliable and comfortable while also being very fuel efficient. You'll pick up a newish one for about half your budget and have your low cost driving that way, or through €5k at a 320d with intergalactic mileage and far more likely to have had the sh1t driven out of it by anyone and everyone.

Just a suggestion...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They have a very poor repuation re engine problems, turbos especially. Whether that's justified or not others will be able to answer far better than myself. Low cost motoring they ain't, but I could be wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I have a 2004 320d and I would recommend one.

There's 125k miles on mine now, and I've put 60k of those on on the last 3 years.

All its needed in 3 years from standard stuff were brake lines(200e) for the last nct, a thermostat(40e ish) and brake pads(100e) just after I bought it.

I also removed the swirl flaps as preventative maintenance(100e).

I change the oil myself every 8k miles.

I love it, nice bit of poke and does 46 mpg on 18 inch alloys, will be bit lighter on diesel on 16s.

Was thinking of changing soon to an e90 but the engine trouble in the new ones is putting me off.

Just regarding the comments about reliability, turbo issues were related to not changing the turbo breather. I put a new type vortex one in mine which doesn't need changing.

The 04 on models also didn't have the same turbo problems and swirl flap issues as the 02 and 03 ones.

I have to say over all its cheap enough motoring definitely comparable or cheaper in cost to the 98 passat I had before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Westbhoy

Thanks for the replies. Not really tied to a budget so was also looking at the 520d. 05 & 06 ones with in and around 100k are going pretty cheap (under 10 grand). What should one be looking out for with the 520d - they seem too good to be true with the spec that some of them offer.

Advertisement