Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant + CIT

Options
  • 25-01-2013 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In 2nd year Mechanical Engineering (Level 7) in CIT, also working 5 nights a week as a bouncer), living independently and financially independent.

Technically repeating 2nd year as I did 2nd year in another college when I did a different course.

Paid my registration and tuition for semester 1.

Was awarded a SUSI grant (full maintenance, adjacent).

Got an email saying that I was entitled a refund of my fees (I assume registration fees only) because of the grant, please fill out this form and send it back to cit which I did immediately).

Range, emailed, left voicemails, got nothing back from cit 2 weeks later.

Eventually got through today and was told that CIT were checking the validity of my grant award, I asked her to clarify and was told they are checking if I should have gotten a grant at all.

CIT were very slow in getting back to me (I had asked them to call or email me). The woman in particular I was trying to get through to doesn't even work there any more and they never changed her inbox minder message or her voicemail!

I feel a bit angry that CIT are effectively 2nd guessing the work of a separate entity, as it's not really CIT's job to award grants or question their validity!

I'd also like to say that the people I was talking to on the phone (apart from the CIT main switchroom) were all very blunt and mannerless on the phone.

What's going on?!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you are repeating 2nd year you may not be entitled to a grant.

You need to call into the student services or fees office in CIT and ask them what is going on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

If you are repeating 2nd year you may not be entitled to a grant.

You need to call into the student services or fees office in CIT and ask them what is going on

That's who I was speaking to, they're the ones who said they were sussing out the validity of my grant award. This is the first grant I have ever received, It's my 5th year in college (having done three years across two courses elsewhere before CIT and I never got a grant for any of those years bar this one (2012-2013)).

Unfortunately you may not be entitled to the grant.

I'm not sure why CIT are intervening though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Unfortunately you may not be entitled to the grant.

I'm not sure why CIT are intervening though.

I agree, they really weren't that nice on the phone, as if the people I was speaking to had taken it personally that I'd gotten a grant.

I'm 100% sure I'm entitled to one though, because I checked it beyond doubt since this time last year. Even CIT said I was eligible for one when I spoke to the grants office last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Dermighty wrote: »
    I agree, they really weren't that nice on the phone, as if the people I was speaking to had taken it personally that I'd gotten a grant.

I'm 100% sure I'm entitled to one though, because I checked it beyond doubt since this time last year. Even CIT said I was eligible for one when I spoke to the grants office last year.

You can't get a grant for repeating a year which is why CIT are checking it, probably means you technically shouldn't have got it. SUSI are making a lot of mistakes and that might just be one of them.

• Advertisement

You can't get a grant for repeating a year which is why CIT are checking it, probably means you technically shouldn't have got it. SUSI are making a lot of mistakes and that might just be one of them.

I understand what your saying but if I didn't get one the 1st time I did the year then what difference does it make whether I'm repeating or not?

Dermighty wrote: »
    I understand what your saying but if I didn't get one the 1st time I did the year then what difference does it make whether I'm repeating or not?

That doesn't matter really

(5) A grant shall be paid to a student or tuition student, where he or she is in “progression”, within the meaning given to that term by section 2 of the Act, irrespective of whether he or she was paid a grant for previous attendance on a course and subject to the terms and conditions of this Scheme.

(6) Subject to paragraph (8), a grant may not be paid in respect of a repeat
    period of study on the same course.

(7) Subject to this paragraph, paragraphs (5) and (8), and the specific progression conditions in articles 16 to 18 a grant may not be paid in respect of a repeat period of study, on a different course. Notwithstanding this condition an applicant who, having previously pursued any course, but not completed it, wishes to pursue an approved course, shall be considered for funding in line with the following provisions—

(a) Having previously attended, but not completed, any post leaving certificate course or equivalent, an applicant shall—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant; or
    (ii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved higher education course.

(b) Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate
    course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, an applicant shall—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was completed on an undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or
    (iv) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (v) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved postgraduate course.

(c) Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent,an applicant will—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 6 or 7 of the framework of qualifications before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was completed on an undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or
    (iv) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (v) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved postgraduate course.

(d) Having previously attended, but not completed, any postgraduate course or equivalent, an applicant will—
    (i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved postgraduate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant, or
    (ii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved undergraduate course where no more than one year was completed on any postgraduate course, or
    (iii) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved undergraduate course at Level 6, 7 or 8 of the framework of qualifications where more than one year was completed on any postgraduate course at Level 8, 9 or 10 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent, before being eligible to be considered for a grant.
    (iv) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved post leaving certificate course where no more than one year has been completed on any postgraduate course, or
    (v) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course where more than one year was completed on any postgraduate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant.

(8) An awarding authority shall have discretion to waive the provisions at
    paragraphs (6) and (7) in exceptional circumstances, in line with guidelines
    drawn up by the Minister.

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough.

I still think it's a load of **** that I'd be inelligible based on my current circumstances.

Advertisement