Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eric Bristow was right - Phil Taylor must go

Options

Comments

Oh, I dunno if I can agree with that at all.

Yes, Taylor acted like a pig. But this does not catapult him into the same category as Lance Armstrong and Ben Johnson. I think the writer has lost his sense of perspective. They perpetrated massive frauds. He's cobbling together various disparate incidents in Taylor's career, the conviction, the pinch, and some odd hint of foul play in the PDC Final to draw conclusions that to me are ott. Hey, I don't like Taylor, I don't like the way he conducts himself, as if he owns the show, the mind games, the gamesmanship. But this does not put him in the category of out and out cheats and frauds.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭joecoyne

Plenty of food for thought in that piece all right

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

I can't stand Taylor but no way can you put him in the category of sporting drug cheats. His behavior at the recent World Championship was a disgrace but if the PDC want to be seen to be as an equal and unbiased organisation they must severely fine Taylor and a possible suspended sentence for his disgraceful behavior at the end of the Barney game.

Taylor is darts greatest player ever,there's no denying that but I just wish that for a 16 times World Champion he could behave himself in a proper and sporting manner up on stage,I don't think that's too much to ask from the World number 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

That probably one of the greatest loads of ****e I have ever read about darts. Dartoid goes on about couple of decades in darts but yet gets a simple thing like Barneveld being a five time time world champion wrong.

I like Taylor as a player, not a person and while he is definitely no saint and the spotlight is on him as a sixteen time world champion I really have to laugh at the idea of the final being a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Taylor is the man. Ppl should remember that, easily best of our generation l

• Advertisement

greenman09 wrote: »
    Taylor is the man. Ppl should remember that, easily best of our generation l

I think, in fairness to him, the best of any generation. It's the only sport where you can realistically wonder will anyone ever match a current player. Maybe if Van Gerwen plays like he played for a few months last year, but oh just for the next 20 years or so, he might be in the same bracket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Silly article really, there was nothing at all wrong with the final.

We all know Taylor is the best ever and we also all know that he us not a nice person, he is incredibly condescending, an extremely bad loser and an all round unlikable person.

He is definitely not a cheat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭big dar

I really don't like taylor at all but you have to say he is the greatest player ever to throw a dart.
    When he broke away from the BDO with the other 16 or so players he was really the only one on top of his game in his prime so to speak the others were over the hillor certainly aproaching the summit.
    So he won lots of soft titles in the early days of the PDC so naturally all attention was on him from sky, barry hearn and whoever and everything was built around him he was at the centre of everything
    My point is he was spoilt rotten for so long everything was for him and he had his way for the guts of 20 years and now with age and better players these days he is not the centre of attention as much
    His behavior ? How else do you think he would react other than like a spoilt child

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

I actually want the time it took me to read that back. What an absolute load of bull. Phil may not be the greatest role model on earth but he has had an unbelievable influence on the popularity of our game.

To even suggest that there was any idea of Taylor fixing is a disgrace
    I was present at the final and from 4-2 down, Phil threw Darts that were simply magnificent and a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

That site must be a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

mdwexford wrote: »
    That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

That site must be a complete joke.

Totally agree, complete rubbish. The flimsiest arguments to are used - a pinch, a grope, a moment of madness with the handshake and a baseless suggestion of fixing the final. I'm not a fan but have nothing against him either unlike the writer of that sh**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Did any of ye actually take in the article. The point wasn't was it a fix the point was he has damaged his credibility and the game so much that some think it was a fix

Iang87 wrote: »
    Did any of ye actually take in the article. The point wasn't was it a fix the point was he has damaged his credibility and the game so much that some think it was a fix

Why would people think it was a fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Wow....I want the last three minutes of my life back.

He gets a lot of mileage out of it, one whole paragraph consists of the stark line "some think Van Gerwen took a dive" and concludes that "Phil Taylor...is no longer an asset to the sport". It's a line that almost beggars belief. I think he is foisting his own evident dislike of Taylor onto unnamed others to give it some credence.

gramar wrote: »
    Why would people think it was a fix?

I dont know maybe some might think taylors position within the pdc hierarchy could cause a conflict of interest with actually playing. I dont believe that myself but some might do, its not exactly a completely wild thing to think.

many people have a dislike of taylor, I for one cant stand him, I recognise how great he is/was but I also think he is an asshole but thats just me. Comes across really ignorant and gets sour when things dont go his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Bluezar

I dont know maybe some might think taylors position within the pdc hierarchy could cause a conflict of interest with actually playing. I dont believe that myself but some might do, its not exactly a completely wild thing to think.

many people have a dislike of taylor, I for one cant stand him, I recognise how great he is/was but I also think he is an asshole but thats just me. Comes across really ignorant and gets sour when things dont go his way.

Position in the hierarchy? Phil is not involved on the board of the PDC. He is a player, the most powerful player I grant you but at the end of the day thats where it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭celt262

He owns a lot of shares in the PDC.

Bluezar wrote: »
    Position in the hierarchy? Phil is not involved on the board of the PDC. He is a player, the most powerful player I grant you but at the end of the day thats where it ends.

From what I understand he's more than just a player. I recall reading once he owns a lot of shares in it and is very powerful within the PDC

From what I understand he's more than just a player. I recall reading once he owns a lot of shares in it and is very powerful within the PDC

Whether he owns shares or not he still has to go out and throw the darts to win the games and he does it time after time with the best averages.
    If he was throwing **** averages and winning then there might be case but that fact is no-one has been able to match him consistently over the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    Whether he owns shares or not he still has to go out and throw the darts to win the games and he does it time after time with the best averages.
    If he was throwing **** averages and winning then there might be case but that fact is no-one has been able to match him consistently over the last 20 years.

jesus lad I didnt say I agreed I was simply initially pointing out that people seemed to miss the point of the article.

I didnt say he cheats or anything of the sort and I am most certainly not denying how unbelievable he has been for 20 years but what he and he alone has done to his character the past few years will cause people to question these things. Should he be allowed to own plenty of shares giving him a say in how things should be done in the company? I dont believe so, but thats just me. I dont think he's doing anything wrong or that but I think he puts himself in a position for these whispers to be begin.

One of the great things about darts is the absolute inability to cheat, even if you fixed a draw you still must go and win thats what is great about darts and thats why these things will always be just whispers

jesus lad I didnt say I agreed I was simply initially pointing out that people seemed to miss the point of the article.

I didnt say he cheats or anything of the sort and I am most certainly not denying how unbelievable he has been for 20 years but what he and he alone has done to his character the past few years will cause people to question these things. Should he be allowed to own plenty of shares giving him a say in how things should be done in the company? I dont believe so, but thats just me. I dont think he's doing anything wrong or that but I think he puts himself in a position for these whispers to be begin.

One of the great things about darts is the absolute inability to cheat, even if you fixed a draw you still must go and win thats what is great about darts and thats why these things will always be just whispers

Not having a go at ye by any means.... I agree that if he has a lot of influence on the board then he shouldn't be playing.
    Other players might feel a bit under pressure against above and beyond him being a top`player but also as a part owner of the organisation than pays their wages.
    Unless players are taking some kind of drug to calm their nerves then I can't see any cheating taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Luckily stopped myself from reading the whole article as I was thinking it was load of balls....from reading others comments it seems I made right choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eddiemania

I can't stand Taylor, met him at an exhibition match a few years back. Asked for an autograph for my dad who was a massive fan, he got overly aggressive and smart coz it wasn't for me, when I stood up to him his heavies became involved. Not a nice person imo and his behaviour towards Barney cemented my opinion. No class and a bad attitude. Couldn't bring myself to tell my dad about his darting idol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

PHEW! Thanks Eddie, I've been checking this thread twice daily for the last 2 & 1/2 years waiting for a reply!!

Do threads not get automatically closed when they are redundant and not of any interest to anyone?

Advertisement