Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please. iMac HD Restore

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

My seagate HD gave up on my imac. I mounted it to an external drive and thankfully can retrieve most information. I am trying to do the following:My seagate HD gave up on my imac. I mounted it to an external drive and thankfully can retrieve most informatio I also installed a new hard drive with a fresh install of OSX lion I am trying to do the following:

1. try and reassemble most of the original set up I had without cloning the hard drive (clone doesnt work due to errors on disk). try and rebuild most of the original set up I had without cloning the hard drive (clone doesnt work due to errors on disk)

2. . Im not too sure what folders I need to gain access to. I have my user folder, i take its not just a case of replacing the new one with the old one.

3. Things like my printer settings, itunes library setup and iphotos set up are really important to me, any advice how to rebuild these would be great.

Thanks a mil for any help

Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you've stored all your music in the iTunes folder then simply replace the new iTunes folder with the old one. Ditto for iPhoto. The contents of your Documents folder will transfer over easily enough. Most software will store files in the /system/library so will be difficult to transfer over.

Check the <username>/Library/Preferences for the Safari and Mail folders and copy them over to replace the new folders on the new installation. This will transfer over your email folders and all your Safari favorites, bookmarks and Top Sites favorites.

Anything else you need just ask.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Thank you so much ken. Starting the process this evening. Will post up queries.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement