Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniper rifle Irish Defence Forces use ?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

What is the name of the latest sniper rifle used by the Irish Defence Forces ? I know they use the Accuracy International L 96 for quite a few years but did they get one of the latest models in the last few years from A.I ?

I just see there is a Discovery programme on about rifles and the British Army got a 1.5 mile kill (2 kills one after another) using A.I rifle the AX 338 or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Craig Harrison (born 1975) is a Corporal of Horse (CoH) in the Blues and Royals RHG/D of the British Army, and holds the record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd). Established in November 2009, this exceeds the previous 2,430 m (2,657 yd) record set by Rob Furlong in 2002 by 45 m (49 yd), shooting an American-built MacMillan .50cal BMG rifle. This record was certified by Guinness World Records.

In 2012 this record was broken by an undetermined Australian sniper in the War in Afghanistan with a shot from a range of 2,815 m.

Record details
    In November 2009, Harrison struck two Taliban machine gunners consecutively south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle. In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to initially range the target successfully. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner then a third which disabled the machine gun.

In the reports, Harrison mentions the environmental conditions were perfect for long range shooting: no wind, mild weather, clear visibility.

Obviously not a good day for the taliban mg gunners though.

The recent record-breaking Australian sniper was shooting a .50cal BMG rifle of undisclosed type.

I'm not in a position to comment on what the PDF might have - others have done so on another board.

FWIW, CoH Harrison took nine shots to carry out his task.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Well discovery mentioned combat and taking out 2 Taliban at that range one after another. No fluke. It looks like a excellent rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

L96 is used by regular PDF snipers.

The wing use the L96, L115, AW50 and the Hk417

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There was a recent Pull out on An Cosantoir. Sniper Spotters also use the FN FAL. In addition to the AW50 the AX338 is also used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

There was a recent Pull out on An Cosantoir. Sniper Spotters also use the FN FAL. In addition to the AW50 the AX338 is also used.

It was the AX338, thats the one. It was quite impressive from a technological point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

aindriu80 wrote: »
    It was the AX338, thats the one. It was quite impressive from a technological point of view.

I suppose the .338 Lapua nicely fills up the gap between the 7.62 and the .50BMG.

Advertisement